Super easy font installation in Mandrake 9.1

Guest bradenm

Guest bradenm

Finally!

If you're using Mandrake 9.1, and have downloaded some nifty fonts (e.g. ttf files), to install them, simply copy them to either

/usr/share/fonts/

or ~/.fonts/

They will instantly be available in most applications.

Get some fonts here: http://www.dustismo.com

• 3 weeks later...

Just try it, and if you manage to post after installing, it can work

If we don’t hear from you anymore, it’s a nice warning for all. ;)

Seriously, I think it should be no problem, I have all msoffice and wpoffice fonts, that’s a couple of hundred...

Maybe you can just add a part of those fonts and see if it’s still ok?

• 2 months later...
Guest Creopan
Finally!

If you're using Mandrake 9.1, and have downloaded some nifty fonts (e.g. ttf files), to install them, simply copy them to either

/usr/share/fonts/

or ~/.fonts/

Using 'Konqueror' I extracted a .ttf file from a .zip file to the /tmp folder. From there I tried to Drag&Drop this file into '/usr/share/fonts' but I get the following error:

Access Denied

Could not write to /usr/share/fonts/PenguinAttack.ttf

If you happen to be too lazy to touch the keyboard, this is an easy way to install fonts :)

Go to Control Center, open System, and use the Font Installer. It works perfectly and much better than DrakFont <- I can't get that one to work at all (the fonts don't get Xft'ed ). It will work straight away, you don't need to restart anything.

Finally!

/usr/share/fonts/

or ~/.fonts/

Using 'Konqueror' I extracted a .ttf file from a .zip file to the /tmp folder. From there I tried to Drag&Drop this file into '/usr/share/fonts' but I get the following error:

Access Denied

Could not write to /usr/share/fonts/PenguinAttack.ttf

That's because you need root access to write to /usr

su

[enter root passwd]

cp /tmp/fontname.ttf /usr/share/fonts

exit

Voila!

If you happen to be too lazy to touch the keyboard, this is an easy way to install fonts :)

Go to Control Center, open System, and use the Font Installer. It works perfectly and much better than DrakFont <- I can't get that one to work at all (the fonts don't get Xft'ed ). It will work straight away, you don't need to restart anything.

He's referring to the KDE Control Center, in case anyone was wondering :)

• 1 month later...

I'd just like to chime in that I have the same problem too (I want my Arial and Times New Roman fonts damn you!!!!!). Strangely the fonts I install from my Windows partition using DrakFont work in OpenOffice but nothing else (Mozilla, KDE etc.). But I use Control Centre and everything is fine. Weird. Though I wonder how Control Centre installs the fonts considering you have to be root to write to /usr/share/fonts...

• 5 months later...
Finally!

/usr/share/fonts/

or ~/.fonts/

Done that - All fonts that show up are squares with no writing... ;)

What is the problem and how can I fix it? (Using 9.2 Download Edition)

Edited by martinjh99