The installation fails for 64bits!

Guest xog

Hello, I have a problem isntalling mandriva 2007, I have the dvd version (32 an 64bits versions in dvd).

In the screen of installation, if i change the option of 64 to 32 bits mode the installation continues and works, but if i try to install into 64 bits mode , when I select installation , or all the otrher isntallation methods, nothing works, I only see a beautiful black screen.

My computer is an athlon64 3500+, asus m2npv-vm, 512 mb ddr2, hd sata 160gb, hd ata 80gb (i install mandrive in this drive).

Thank you

Does the installation simply not start? Or does it install and you have no video upon reboot?

When I choce installation in the first menu, when yo can select diferent kind of isntallations, a memory test,... the installation don't start and the screen is black, but if I change 64 to 32 bits mode the isntallation start, but I want an 64bit O.S. an not a 32 bit O.S.

You should go with 32-bit. At this point you won't see any advantage with using a 64-bit OS, in fact it will be more of a pain because a lot of software has not been built for 64-bit, or is not even optimized to take advantage of 64-bit systems. Stick with 32-bit if it works, believe me, you won't be disappointed.

p.s. - welcome to the board :)

I hear it's still just as fast too with 32 bit on a 64 system.

Someone posted some speed tests here not to long ago. The speed increase was negligable in most cases and sometimes 64 bit was even slower.

I don't have a 64 bit processor but from all that I have read, right now it seems to be more of a pain in the arse than an improvement. I guess it needs some time for apps to be ported and then we will see a difference.

But maybe xog really really wants 64 bit and doesnt want to hear it a pain in the arse but get his system up and running.....

Edited by ffi

I have a 64 bit system running for a client. I cannot see any difference in running 64 bit. And, there was some trickiness in getting the install to work. It was an ASUS board with nvidia chipset, but no on-board video. I used a 7950 series Nvidia card.

Thank you for yours answers, finnally I will install mandriva i586 and not x64, if the software don't be fastest and it can be more difficult to install or I can have problems...

I think that the people start to do 64bit software when windows vista arrive, meanwhile if 32bit software works whats the reason to change it to 64bits... :smash::wall:

PD: Sorry for my english, i'm from barcelona, catalonia, and the last time that i can write in englsih was some years ago :P