Mplayer doesn't start automatically in Firefox

keith11

Even after installing this correct rpm from http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat....i586.rpm.html, when I try to open an online video, Mplayer doesn't kick in automatically and start playing the video. The window of the video once said I needed mplayerplug-in and on other occasion it said it needed mozplugger. I have mozplugger and mplayerplug-in installed already, but still I am getting those errors. Any idea what's going on? Thanks.

Can you give the output of the following commands?

ls -a /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

ls -a /usr/lib/firefox-2.0/plugins

Btw, do you know about easyurpmi and installing software already?

The output of "ls -a /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins" is the following:

./ mplayerplug-in-gmp.so* mplayerplug-in.so*

../ mplayerplug-in-gmp.xpt* mplayerplug-in-wmp.so*

flashplayer.xpt mplayerplug-in-qt.so* mplayerplug-in-wmp.xpt

libflashplayer.so* mplayerplug-in-qt.xpt* mplayerplug-in.xpt

libjavaplugin_oji.so@ mplayerplug-in-rm.so* nppdf.so*

mozplugger.so* mplayerplug-in-rm.xpt*

The output for "ls -a /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox-1.5.0.8/plugins" is the following:

[root@localhost plugins]# ls

libnullplugin.so* libunixprintplugin.so*

I have Firefox 1.5.0.8 installed.

I just know that I can install any .rpm by typing "urpmi *.rpm", but other than that I don't know much about urpmi or installing the software. I know that there is a section called easyurpmi in mandrivausers.org from where I installed all the repositories, main, contrib and plf. That's all I know about easy urpmi too, nothing more than that.

Then I would like to suggest that you do just that, namely learn how to do easy-urpmi. It is as the name implys, extremely easy. And when you have done it once it is a no brainer when you need to do it again after any clean installs.

Just click on Easy-Urpmi at the top of this page, after first opening a Konsole and typing su then root password, and follow its instructions.

Easy as pie. Easy peasy. Easy-urpmi.

Cheers. John.

I think I symlinked the plugins directory in firefox-1.5.0.8 to my /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins directory in 2006 because of this similar sort of problem.

cd /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox-1.5.0.8
mv plugins plugins.old
ln -s plugins /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

might help sort it out. Check the paths above do exist on your system, mine is just an example, so you know the format.

Then I would like to suggest that you do just that, namely learn how to do easy-urpmi. It is as the name implys, extremely easy. And when you have done it once it is a no brainer when you need to do it again after any clean installs.

Just click on Easy-Urpmi at the top of this page, after first opening a Konsole and typing su then root password, and follow its instructions.

Easy as pie. Easy peasy. Easy-urpmi.

Cheers. John.

Thanks for your suggestion. I already had gone on that page and installed everything if that's what you wanted me to do. Please correct me if I am misunderstanding your suggestion.

To Ian:

I will try what you suggested. Unfortunately I faced a grave problem yesterday and if any of you experts can, please take a look at my other thread where I posted my problem connecting the internet: https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=38406&hl=

Thanks.

I think I symlinked the plugins directory in firefox-1.5.0.8 to my /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins directory in 2006 because of this similar sort of problem.

cd /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox-1.5.0.8
mv plugins plugins.old
ln -s plugins /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

might help sort it out. Check the paths above do exist on your system, mine is just an example, so you know the format.

I tried the above. I have another htread running about mproblems iwth my wireless connection and as I mentioned in that thread I am somehow able to connec t to wireless in my office, but not at home. So, as I am able to connect to wireless in my office I tried opening a video from cbsnews.com and it gave me two different results on two occasions as the following:

1. In the window of the video it said "Mozplugger: Application not found"

2. On another occasion, it played the sound, but no video. In the window of the video, it showed the symbol of mplayer plugin with the text saying mplayer plugin, the video plugin for mozilla.

Why would it be so? Am I still missing something? Thanks.

Hi. I have been trying for days now to make mplayer work on my mandriva powerpack 2007, but unfortunately I haven't had success yet. I have tried every possible trick in this forum, other forums, blogs, from tips and tricks section of this forum and from the answers to other people facing the same problem. The result; I am still in the same situation. I am thinking of switching to Linux, but there are many issues like this one which subconsciously don't build any motivation to switch to linux. I have tried commands in the CLI although I am a newbie and I have tried doing other things, from blogs and stuff, but I just haven't been able to make mplayer work. I must be doing something/or have done something very wrong. I know linux offers transparency during installation and is more secure, but well, if people thinking about switching to linux have to be experts, I guess only people who have had some kind of basic training about linux can only use linux. This is coming from a person who has spent days and nights trying to fix problems in linux from forums, blogs, etc.. I haven't given up yet, but might be close to. I know many of you experts would not like my ranting here, but I am very frustrated and I would be glad if I can take it out for a moment, which is what I am doing.smile.gif I am still hoping I will be able to see STREAMING VIDEO IN LINUX. Yes, it is like a dream now.smile.gif I would really appreciate if I can get more help (on one of the posts, where a member was frustrated like I am, I remember one of the admins encouraging him to ask again if he has a problem) regarding this problem. I have not been able to install a library package too which I have mentioned in another thread of mine. Firefox displays big fonts, which is not particularly a very good experience. Sometimes, Firefox and Opera both stop loading pages (I have tried the solutions for them too from forums, but it doesn't get solved permanently). Klaptop puts my laptop in suspension if I am away for a long time, but when I try to wake it up from suspension, it almost always never wakes up, instead all I see is the dark screen, so I always have to shutdown my laptop if I am going away for a long time. The brightness of the screen, although the laptop is plugged in, is much less compared to what one gets in windows. The look and feel is all soft too, not sharp and bright. Please correct me if I am wrong but I think powerpack is supposed to be a commerical version and still it has such problems? So for two weeks or more, I am just trying to solve problems instead of really enjoying all the good things linux has to offer. I can't switch to another version of linux because as far as I know mandriva's recognition of hardware is the best. I remember spending 10 days and nights to make my wireless card work in mandrake 9.2; it worked for half an hour and then it never worked. This can be the case for me if I used another flavor (I wanted to try ubuntu) and that's why I am sticking to mandriva.

I have an update:

The error about the video not being played because it did not find a realplay or hxplay is gone now as I re-installed realplayer. I can play real videos now, which I could play even earlier before uninstalling realplayer. I unsitalled realplayer so that mplayer could become my default player for online media. So now, I can play real videos (although I can't expand the screen to full screen), but I can't play windows media video. When I try to play windows media video, the mplayer screen loads in the window of the video and it says it's loading the video but nothing loads. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Edited by keith11

I can't answer all your problems Keith but for mplayer you need the win32-codecs installed. I have looked through the whole thread and not seen any reference to that. So try installing the codec and I think you will find mplayer will be OK. I use it quite often to whatch NASA tv so I know it works. Good luck.

Thanks for your suggestions. I do have win32 codecs installed. I have real codecs installed too. I am in the learning stage so if you want to know something please let me know and I can print the output for you to give you a better idea of what I have in my system. Once again, thank you for your time.

Guest mkhan919

if you are using Mozilla, try printing the output from

about:plugins in the address bar.

I have having the same problem with once i had installed latest version of mplayerplug-in.so and win32 codecs, everything is working fine for me.