Problem with fstab entries [solved]

keith11

I am running windows xo pro sp2 and mandriva powerpack 2007. I wanted to read/write on e:\ so I converted my e:\ drive from ntfs to fat32. The problem now is that I can see the partition but I can't see the contents of the partition. I can see /mnt/win_e but when I browse inside it, there's nothing. I opened up the fstab file and found that the entry for /mnt/win_e still has ntfs association instead of vfat. The entry for win_e in my fstab is as follows:

/dev/hda10 / ext3 noatime 1 1

/dev/hda7 /boot ext3 noatime 1 2

/dev/hda9 /home ext3 noatime 1 2

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0022,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c ntfs umask=0022,nls=utf8,ro 0 0

/dev/hda5 /mnt/win_d ntfs umask=0022,nls=utf8,ro 0 0

/dev/hda6 /mnt/win_e ntfs umask=0022,nls=utf8,ro 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda8 swap swap defaults 0 0

So how do I fix this problem so that I can see the contents of win_e and also be able to save files in it from linux? Thanks.

I will try out changing the line in fstab. I actually tried changing it from ntfs to vfat (not rw from ro though), but then I got a little afraid and didn't save the changes. I will now.

ffi - I am a novice and I would look into the driver you are talking about and what it does.

Thanks all of you guys.

ffi - I am a novice and I would look into the driver you are talking about and what it does.

It was one of the first things I managed to compile and install successfully without hitches but that is't even necessary now because it's in the repositories and installing would just be as simple as urpmi ntfs-3g. (okay and then change in fstab ntfs to ntfs-3g)