Help Me to Install Kernel Source

danyal

Guest Big Bad Bob
If I say once, I will say it a thousand times,.......The kernel-source2.6.17-5 for the kernel 2.6.17-5 IS ON the same CDROM or DVD sources that you installed Mandriva2007 with.

Mandriva2007 Free CD set or DVD comes complete with kernel-source. I suspect that you are constantly hunting for kernel source instead of kernel-source so it is no wonder you are not getting anywhere.

John.

You may say it a thousand times, if you wish, but I have looked on the CD Rom images and it's NOT THERE. I have searched CD1 through to CD4 and the Source is not included!.

Use this command:

urpmf --name kernel | grep source

do you get any results listed? If you do, the kernel source is there. If not, set up your easyurpmi links at the top of this page and then try again.

And, they are on the CD's. I've used them myself. You just have limited ones on the CD's. The CD media should be set up in your urpmi repositories, so the command above should yield results.

Guest Big Bad Bob

If I say once, I will say it a thousand times,.......The kernel-source2.6.17-5 for the kernel 2.6.17-5 IS ON the same CDROM or DVD sources that you installed Mandriva2007 with.

Mandriva2007 Free CD set or DVD comes complete with kernel-source. I suspect that you are constantly hunting for kernel source instead of kernel-source so it is no wonder you are not getting anywhere.

John.

You may say it a thousand times, if you wish, but I have looked on the CD Rom images and it's NOT THERE. I have searched CD1 through to CD4 and the Source is not included!.

Try this link :-)

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idp...0.i586.rpm.html

Yeah, you can use them links. But I wouldn't use it for all packages. A lot of packages rely in dependencies. Using urpmi or the gui apps after setting up easyurpmi sources does it all for you automatically.

And that kernel-source you listed IS on the CD's. If you insist it's not on yours, then I can only blame where you got it from. All the ones we've downloaded from the internet have this kernel-source on.

Guest Big Bad Bob
Yeah, you can use them links. But I wouldn't use it for all packages. A lot of packages rely in dependencies. Using urpmi or the gui apps after setting up easyurpmi sources does it all for you automatically.

And that kernel-source you listed IS on the CD's. If you insist it's not on yours, then I can only blame where you got it from. All the ones we've downloaded from the internet have this kernel-source on.

I downloaded mine from the Internet (ftp://ftp.lip6.fr/pub/linux/distributions/Mandrakelinux/official/iso/2007.0/CD/mandriva-free-2007-CD1.i586.iso), all 4 CD's and they don't have the source on them. I have checked all four CD's.

Thanks for all i can install kernel-source but with rpm source ( download from rpmfind site )

Thanks

I downloaded mine from the Internet (ftp://ftp.lip6.fr/pub/linux/distributions/Mandrakelinux/official/iso/2007.0/CD/mandriva-free-2007-CD1.i586.iso), all 4 CD's and they don't have the source on them. I have checked all four CD's.

You have my problem , too . you can download this file and install with this command

rpmbuild -- rebuild file name

then go to this address

usr/src/rpm/RPMS/i586/

and install all rpm files in this folder then you have install kernel-source complet

ftp://mirror.switch.ch:21/mirror/mandrake...v2007.0.src.rpm

Guest Big Bad Bob
First, configure your urpmi package manager. Then, type this in console as root:

urpmi kernel-source-2.6.17.5mdv

and urpmi will download and install the source from the mirrors. Information how to configure urpmi- HERE

Select all sources, including plf-free and plf-nonfree. Mirrors are your own choice, for Europe I recommend German mirrors.

Thnks for this information, most useful and finally helped me to track down the kernel source package, once I had configured the package manager it downloaded and installed the source O/K.

I am a bit concerned that the source wasn't on the CD's I downloaded, it's obvious from the comments in this forum that most other members have downloaded the same software but with the source code included. Makes me wonder what else is missing from the downloaded CD's I have.

Many people here (mostly on broadband) have just used a small "netinstall" ISO which has just the basic things to boot the system, and have downloaded everything they need online... I do not think you should bother too much why the kernel-source package can't be spotted in the media.

The online repositories ( from easy urpmi ) are broader, and always up-to-date... so unless you are on dialup, you should prefer them.