suggestions?

Michel

I'm on a run tonight....

Am interested in digital cameras and was thinking if no one here has one or has done "research" on it, or just no some about them Any suggestions? Please also tell why ofcourse:)

What I'm interested in? Like many buyers I suppose, good price quality. maybe also long batterylife or how long does those camera's work. Suppose such a displayscreen uses some power.

I have an Olympus C1-zoom (now replaced by the C2) which is very good. But I'd give several pieces of general advice to anyone wanting a digital camera and uses Linux.

1. Removable memory cards.

Forget attaching you camera directly to the computer, buy a card reader and use that instead. So find a camera that uses standard memory cards (eg Smartmedia), and a standard file system (eg FAT32).

2. Pixels.

What do you want to use the camera for? 1.3 million pixels is roughly equivalent to a normal 3.5mm film camera. More pixels the better the image quality, but also the bigger the file size. (so can store fewere).

3. Zoom

Do you want a zoom? If you really want a zoom get an optical one, it'll give better results. If your not that bothered a lot of cameras include digital zoom.

4. View Screen

Always useful to see if your photo came out.

5. Standard betteries

Use re-chargable where possible, as it will work out cheaper. But if you camera uses standard batteries (eg AA) then if they run out you can just buy cheap replacements in emergancies.

Forget attaching you camera directly to the computer, buy a card reader and use that instead. So find a camera that uses standard memory cards (eg Smartmedia), and a standard file system (eg FAT32).

I agree, but there is the point that most of the cameras I've experimented with can serve as their own card reader. Granted, I've only tried with the cameras of a few friends, and my Olympus D-380. I just plug the usb cable into it and treat it as a mountable filesystem, instead of as a camera.

I agree, but there is the point that most of the cameras I've experimented with can serve as their own card reader. Granted, I've only tried with the cameras of a few friends, and my Olympus D-380. I just plug the usb cable into it and treat it as a mountable filesystem, instead of as a camera.

This is the way I use my digital camera as well. I couldn't really research what kind of camera to buy, because I actually got it for Christmas from my parents. But I was quite happy that the camera worked as soon as I plugged it in.

So you'll probably be all right with most cameras out there. Worst case scenario, it will be read as a removable drive instead of a camera. But the pictures will still be viewable and downloadable.