Motherboard Supported

michaelcole

I Just purchased a new box for my set up at home, this is intended to last a few Years.

So i Purchased the following

asrock am2nf6g-vsta motherboard http://www.asrock.com/product/AM2NF6G-VSTA.htm

Athlon64 X2 3600

250GB sata I drive

1GB PC667 ddr2 memory

LG GSA-H22L lightscribe multi CD/DVD writer.

Using the 2007 cds i was able to get a basic system running.

After this i had no Network or Sound and the CD was not readable.

I use a USB external drive for the updates and packages.

I upgraded the Kernel to

Kernel-linus-2.6.19-3mdv

It auto detected all the motherboards inbuilt systems.

So

Network card works,

High Def Sound Card Works

CD Rom fully functioning CD-DVD

Video Display

I advise to upgrade the kernel to the latest available, I found mine in the cooker area, you will not get this to work correctly with a lower kernel unless you want to compile extra items in.

For the lightscribe functionality you will need to find these RPMs

4L-1.0-r6.i586.rpm

lightscribe-1.4.113.1-linux-2.6-intel.rpm

I am running the 32 bit Kernel at the moment as i have heard that some companies are only releasing binaries for the 32 bit OS not 64 bit yet.

I will be installing a second version for the 64Bit later maybe next week.

All the applications i have run so far have had no problems, I would like the wine to work better in some areas but i think that is me not wine.. Need windows for some of my daughters applications (Educational Disney programs..)

I now have in this total system

HP Deskjet 3940

IRDA USB

Bluetooth USB

Keyboard USB

Mouse USB

Logitech Game PAD USB

80GB External Matrox Drive

Toshiba USB Phone connector (USB drive functionality to Phones extra Memory)

Compaq Smartcard Adaptor USB

ZIO USB Card adaptor (For Camera)

Maxell PM3 Web Cam USB

15 Inch Monitor (Nothing special)

To answer the question does this beat Windows, Yes..

So far the winXP required me to install 4 CD's for the Drivers, and not all of the connected items work. This is 4 Extra CD's. Games I think it has 3. My wife likes to be in the linux she has more to select from i think over 50.

If you move any of the USB devices you need to have a old PS2 keyboard about or you cannot get use of the USB keyboard (After plugging it in, the USB keybord automaticly starts to function).

Ok you will now say but the programs for my daughter only work on windows, well only partially. Since they were not developed for XP but for win98 i cannot print out from the programs. She can only use the applications as long as she does not want to print..

Other than ASRock pushing Vista ready it looks like a good board..

Edited by michaelcole

I upgraded the Kernel to Kernel-linus-2.6.19-3mdv

Interesting post!

Can you just please make something clearer for any newbie looking at this. Was this how you proceeded:

Installed 2007

then no network, so how did you setup urpmi with cooker repositories?

did you instead download Kernel-linus-2.6.19-3mdv on another box, then burn it to cd, then used

rpm -i Kernel-linus-2.6.19-3mdv

(you still have new and old kernel in place, so you edited grub menu.lst by hand)

Thanks

I have a 80GB External Drive so i have urpmi configured to look at local files, On this drive i have a complete version of the 2007 repositories.

For the kernel from cooker i downloaded the files individually and copied these to the USB drive.

point a browser at the FTP site you use and browse the directories untill you find the files you need.

From there you can just click on the RPM files and they will ask if you want to install them and then type in the root password.

I downloaded the Source RPM file, the DOC RPM file and the kernel RPM..

Editing not needed as the RPM will edit the config for you once rebooted and tested you can then remove the old kernel using MCC and its associated files you may have installed. Once again editing of the boot config is not needed, it does it for you.

If you want to have a copy like me check out the rsync command further i may post it soon in detail.

I use it for the office and home, in the office I have 50++ Computers to deal with so it is really handy at times.

And the bandwidth is not an issue after i have a copy i only have to update it once in a while.

WARNING it is large mine is over 14GB of files..

Note CD did not work correctly before new kernel loaded, but not sure if that is because of the CDROM or the IDE adapter.. So USB is the only way to go..

Edited by michaelcole

Hello emmanuel.

When you install a new kernel, it is automatically listed in the Grub boot menu.

ther eis no need to go into MCC Boot unless you want to make the new kernel the default or if you have selected the new kernel and are happy with it an d therefore want to remove the old on from the boot menu (this does not uninstall the earlier kernel though, so it is still there if you want to go back to it).

You do not have to burn the new kernel to a CD. You just download it like any other RPM and it is installed like any other RPM. The easiest is to do all this using easy-urpmi. It then appears in the grub boot menu. You reboot this time selecting the new kernel listed and you are on your way.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

Hi John

Happy new year.

Thanks for the precisions in your post

I was asking the question really with respect to the fact

that the installation was so poor with a stock kernel mdv 2007 that

I could not see how one could proceed if one did not have a 2d PC

at hand to download a newer kernel. (and a USB pen drive, apparently even the cd player did not work initially!)

My Core Duo won't install unless it's disabled and in single processor mode in the BIOS. Then I can get Mandriva 2007 installed.

After that, I add my easyurpmi sources, and install a 2.6.18 kernel from the Mandy repos. Set this as my default, reboot, and enable the core again in the BIOS, and boot with the new kernel, and all is fine other than some sound/wireless hardware issues.

Happy New year to All...

The CD problem may be due to me having a lightscribe CD/DVD Dual Layer Burner.. Not a standard CD-rom..

But yes i agree this is the risk one would have to take as you may have noticed it is Designed for Visa..

But i would say that Mandi and all those involved in the process to get the CD's out have done a good job..

Windows is a nightmare where can I get the patches and other items downloadable for this PC with out an internet connection?

Like i don't think i want to click 100 - 1000 links to download all the patches required for the windows XP, and other applications.

Whereas the rsync is a single command for it all..

My Core Duo won't install unless it's disabled and in single processor mode in the BIOS

And another trick in the bag for whoever reads it!

Thanks Ian. Happy new year as well (I stop now after 2 posts, otherwise it will get "stupid")

When will I have a post saying

<<try to disable one core, disable lan card, usb audio card,

use vesa mode, noapic, nolapic, acpi=off, and disable everything else, then install mdv, then upgrade kernel>>