Scanner Problems.

Pepse

OK, to start, I bought a used (but working) HP Scanjet 5P SCSI scanner. I had to buy a SCSI card and 50 to 80 pin cable, too. So, I installed the SCSI card first and booted the computer and it shows the SCSI card in MCC as the Symbios Logic card (good). I shut down and connected the scanner, and yes turned it on, and booted and went to MCC to get the software setup and in MCC clicked on the Scanjet 5P scanner and MCC doesn't see it. The error is: Scannerdrake was not able to detect your HP ScanJet 5P scanner. Please select the device where your scanner is plugged. choose device (the default is: /dev/sg0 ) well I tried all /dev/sgx's and nothing works; that is I go to Xsane and it doesn't detect my scanner. I went to: KDE-configuration-KDE-information-SCSI and it shows my LGE CDRW as the only SCSI device attached. I searched on this board for scanner probs and on one I looked at there is mention in going to root and type "lsmod", I did and there was no scanner listed. I also did "modprobe scanner" and there is nothing. Any ideas?? I have MDK 9.0

Pepse.

Have a good look in sane files. /etc/sane.d (from memory) and check the file for your scanner. Some of the paths for various scanner nodes are incorrect. Sometimes the name of the scanner node is incorrect.

My scanner works perfectly since 8.1 but I used to have have to change

scanner to scanner0 in the epson file in /etc/sane.d

I've always had USB scanners so I can't be more specific.

OK, I went to terminal, MC, /etc/sane.d, and "hp.conf" and all that's in there is "scsi HP" and "/dev/sg1" , and the date is 03/24/03. I put the scanner on "sg1" because I think/thought it was interfering with my LGE CDRW. So, I actually think I went to the wrong area but that is the way I took your message.

Later. Pepse.

Well, it looks like my SCSI card isn't recognized by "dmesg" . The only thing it recognizes (SCSI-wise) is my LGE CDRW. I also did a "sane-find-scanner" and it didn't find anything. I also did "sane-find-scanner -v" and it checked all SCSI and USB ports without finding anything. So, even tho MDK Control Center sees my SCSI card it seems it isn't recognized anywhere else. So, without having to spend $70 USD on an Adaptec SCSI card how do I resolve this dilema?? I figure that if I can get the Symbios SCSI card recognized then maybe it'll recognize my scanner; or at least I might be on the right track.

Later. Pepse.

Well it didn't make any diff changing slots. But what I now realize is that Linux does recognize my SCSI card but does not recognize the scanner. I've done such things as "sane-find-scanner" and "dmesg" and echo "scsi add-single-device 0 0 0 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi . I wonder if it is possible that the version of Sane in 9.0 might be the problem?? It is 0.87 and the latest stable is 1.0.11. But, if that could help find the scanner I have a problem with the download. I downloaded the latest stable Sane driver and put it in a directory ( .tar.gz ) and then opened it up, but it is still in the directory and I need to know how to get it out and use it. Also, I did download the Xsane and Sane RPMs into another directory but I don't want to do anything with them unless I have a path to send them to. Any ideas??

Later. Pepse.

I had the best results with the tarballs. You go into the new directory created when you untar it and do

$ ./configure

$ make

$ su

[type in root password]

# make install

By default, it puts it all in /usr/local/bin (or /usr/local/sbin....can't remember), but you can edit the Makefile beforehand.

So far it ain't working. I went to the directory with the tarball (XSANE) and did $ ./configure and the reply is "bash $: command not found . I also, logged in and tried it but I still get the same results. What am I missing??

Pepse.

No, you untar it

tar -zxvf xsane-whatever.tar.gz

or if it is a *.tar.bz2 file

tar -jxvf xsane-whatever.tar.gz

and it creates a new directory called xsane-whatever, so you

cd xsane-whatever

and then do

./configure

etc. (Oh, and you don't actually type the $ or the #, I was just letting you know that you do some things as a regular user ($) and some as root (#))

For future reference, you'll see alot of other experienced users do that also, to show you what needs to be done as a regular user and what as root.

BTW, have you read this?

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=3147

If you can follow translating it to your specifics, it might help.

I must not be getting something right because I couldn't do anything after untarring it so I just eliminated all the stuff I downloaded and decided to start over. But, before I do I gotta ask is it better if I just download the Sane files to Konqueror and not create a directory to put them in?? At least this way I just go to root and untar without having to go to a directory and then maybe when I do "./configure" and "make" and the other stuff it'll work. Steve, at the moment your link looks a little steep for me. Maybe I'll look at it again while waitng for a reply to this mess of mine.

Later. Pepse.

Sorry for not understanding, so far.

What I do is create a /tmp directory in my home directory to download everything.

Ex (As your regular user):

cd ~

mkdir tmp

Then download all your files there. Let's say you downloaded xsane-blah.tar.gz there (anything in between [ ] is a comment or an action and you don't actually type it):

cd ~/tmp

tar -zxvf xsane-blah.tar.gz

cd xsane-blah

cat INSTALL | more

[read the INSTALL file, just hit enter to scroll down...sometimes it is called README, so you would do cat README | more instead...then it [i]should[/i] be do the following]

./configure

make

su

[type in root password]

make install

Funny, after getting your last reply I went and downloaded the backend file to the "temp" diectrory and used your info from the post about 4 back and everything works. I don't know if it was because of the directory I made before or what but everything worked. That is I have the latest stable backend, but it still can't find the scanner. That's ok because I'll still need all of this when I do get a scanner that works. I'll download the frontend later. I have to go out for a few hours but when I get back I'll try to hack at the scanner some more.

Thanx for your help.

Pepse.