My scanner AGAIN!

hugerobot

I have been down this road so many times, I could scream...

But I was pretty confident that I could fix any scanner problem I had with my new install.

But I was wrong. I am running MDK 9.0, but heavily updated from cooker.

Here is my sane rpm info:

[root@homepc root]# rpm -qa | grep sane

saned-1.0.11-5mdk

xsane-gimp-0.90-2mdk

libsane-hpoj0-0.90-4mdk

xsane-0.90-2mdk

sane-backends-1.0.11-5mdk

libsane1-devel-1.0.11-5mdk

sane-frontends-1.0.10-1mdk

libsane1-1.0.11-5mdk

Previously, to get sane to work, I had to download sane and xsane tarballs and make them myself, however, since these rpms were newer versions than the tarballs, I figured they should work.

dll.conf is correct.

snapscan.conf is correct.

The firmware file is there, and is listed in snapscan.conf

But here's the problem:

Often times, my system doesnt see the scanner unless I unplug it and plug it back in. Then it shows in usbview and the icon appears on my desktop.

When I click on the icon, my usb mouse stops working, and xsane/sane locks up and hangs and I can't kill it. I have to reboot to get rid of it.

Any ideas?

I hate to be obvious but:

USB cables aren't that substantial, I'd swop the one you've got at the moment, with another cable. My scanner went weird after I ran across the cable with a vacumn cleaner!

To get a good connection in the the USB socket on the back of my old machine I had to remove the metal plate which the ports stick through at the back of the case.

Have you tried commenting out everything in dll.conf except for your scanner?

Yes. The only thing in dll.conf is snapscan.

USB cables aren't that substantial, I'd swop the one you've got at the moment, with another cable. My scanner went weird after I ran across the cable with a vacumn cleaner!  

Well, I doubt this is the problem, since it was working fine prior to the software upgrade. I will try it, but the scanner, the cables, and the usb hub it's connected to were not physically touched at all since the time it was working.

I have 2 new ideas that I want to try:

1. Since the original installation was a tarball, much of it is still hanging around. I am wondering if there is some kind of conflict/confusion. I guess there's no easy way to remove it except to search for and delete it manually.

2. I also wonder if this is a usb problem and not a scanner problem. Since the scanner isn't detected until I unplug it and plug it back in (the power, not the usb cable).

Well, I'm gonna go replace my usb cable, and also try to remove all of the old sane stuff....

Thanks.

Uninstalling tar ball installation>

I haven't done that in ages, I THINK go into the directory you extracted from the the tarball. Where you typed ./configure make make install

su to root

and type make uninstall. That should be it sorted.

DAMMIT

Nothing I do changes anything! It just doesn't work.

It's always the same thing:

1. Scanner isn't found when I start up my computer. sane-find-scanner and scanimage -L see nothing.

2. When I unplug the power on the scanner and plug it back in, the scanner shows on my kde desktop. sane-find-scanner and scanimage -L both see my scanner perfectly, and identify it by name.

3. When I click the icon to run xsane it hangs, and my mouse stops working. My computer doesn't lock up.. I can still use it with keyboard controls (I'm getting pretty good at it actually!)

It worked before I updated my system with rpmdrake/cooker. Everything else works fine, but I guess something in cooker is still undercooked.

I guess this means I'll be upgrading to 9.1 in the hopes that it will work.

I just noticed this a few days ago because I don't use my scanner that much. I did a fresh install of mdk 9.1 rc-2 and updated from cooker. Sane was never installed. However, I tried using the kde scanning application called kooka and it works fine; just had to make sure my scanner was turned on before I ran kooka. It was automatically detected and the kooka functioned perfectly. You might want to give it a try although yours does sound more like a usb problem. One other thing you can try is switching around where you plug in usb devices. I know certain devices like to be directly plugged into the computer rather than a hub.