CD-R's not browseable--how do you burn a good one???

frosterrj

I have easy cd creator at work and used it to burn all the Xfree 4.3 files. I get home to copy them from the CD and I get an error saying I dont have access to /mnt/cdrom! Bullshit, I can put any other cd and browse with no problem. I tried windows, and it cant read the CD either. So I'm thinking I didnt burn the cd correctly, but not sure what I should do when burning so its readable.

I set the burn program up so that the cd type is ISO 9660 (or whatever the number is), made sure the program tested and finalized the cd, and after it was done, I ejected, and re-inserted to see if the computer it was burned on could read it--no problems there. Just no dice on my linux box (Dell Latitude P2, MDK 9.0, KDE 3.0.5)

Also, when I put the cd in the laptop, even root is denied access with the "you dont have permission to access this device"! Ummmm, if root doesnt have access who does!

Thanks for your help,

Robert

Did you burn the files onto a CD-R or onto a CD-RW? This can make a difference. I have seen many a CD-RW that can only be read on the machine that burned it. Once it is moved to another machine, no go. The CD-RW is useless.

This is the only thing that I can think of.

I think. IT's a new Dell desktop with Win XP pro, but the actual CD is a CD-R, 12x compatible, 650MB.

Here's a basic question: do you have to format the CD before burning, like copying to a floppy? I have not been doing that, I assumed the burning software takes care of that.

Robert

When you say format, it sounds like you are talking about CD-RW where the OS treats the CD as a read/write volume. Are you using a standard CD burn process with ezwriter? Make sure you take a good look at the settings. You are burning a CD not doing a format/copy. You can also run your cd burning software on your linux box and note down the settings and make sure work has the same type (joliet for example)

I select new data project, add the files, make sure the job type is not a music cd (X2 format or something), then tell it to burn the files. Seems to go ok, till I get it home and cant view it.

Here's a new wrinkle: seems my CD and floppy are locked--I just tried another cd and got the same error--permission denied for that drive (this happed as root as well). In Konqueror, the icons have a little lock on them.

I checked and permission are set at 755, but no dice. Maybe this is more the problem. How do I fix that?

thanks.

Robert

My nero software has the following options I set..

ISO Level 2 (Max of 32 chars)

ISO 9660

Joliet (secondary volume descriptor and directories using unicode)

Mode 1 (Mode 2 is for much older computers)

Have you opened a terminal and gone to /mnt/cdrom to see if you can get a directory listing?

It sounds like you are having a problem with supermount since you said you are getting both cd and floppy locked even as root this happen to me try diabling supermount then mount the cd manully if you used easy cd creator you will need to mount with the -udf option I had the same problem awhile back I created a cd of information using easy cd creator in windoze but my linux box could not see them plus I started getting the same lock issues you talked about so I did the following

supermount -i disable

mount -udf /path/of/HD

this worked for me but I can't gurantee it will work in your situation

hope this helps

ump