urpmi.updatemedia runs out of memory

this has been a problem since last night. i issued a urpmi.update -a that was interrupted when we experienced a temporary black out (the router died but not the laptop). i resumed it this morning and now when it starts to do the second pass to compute for dependencies it dies due to an out of memory error. i tried rebooting and running the update on its own but the same thing happens.

urpmi --update still works but urpmf and urpmq is borked. i already tried removing and re-adding the internet sources but the problem does not go away. any ideas on how to fix this? or is it time for me to start reading about the smart package manager? :D

followup question, i dont know if this is related but this has been happening way before yesterday but every call to urpmi.update -a causes my mdv installation to redownload the hdlists/synthesis files even if nothing has changed. is this normal?

ciao!

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

I remember a post before about hdlists being redownloaded even without changes.

I'd be tempted to remove all your sources ad re-add them again. And see if it solves all the probs. It could be corrupted hdlists that causes them to be redownloaded as well as eating all your memory

Just done a clean install of Mandy 2007, and experiencing segmentation faults, is this the same as you? If so, I've posted something here that might be of use.

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=37726

ramfree17 Posted Today, 12:05 AM

i wonder if i can mix urpmi and smart?

i have been using smart side by side with urpmi since the first "smart rpm" was available.

It has helped me fix urpmi a few times.

When my urpmi was borked with perl errors and segfaults the "smart package manager" has done the trick. Even though urpmi was not working with the mirrors i could still install packages. So i downloaded and installed smart rpm and dependencies.

If you give it a try be advised the default install from rpm will setup channels pointing to cooker afaik.

Edited by Floyd

I was using the smaller hdlists, namely the synthesis.hdlist.cz files, as main and contrib are normally about 25MB each, and on my 256kbps link that takes about 15 minutes or so per list. Best to use compressed index for me :P

Working now though, no seg faults.

If you give it a try be advised the default install from rpm will setup channels pointing to cooker afaik.

yup, i saw that too when i was exploring smart. i tried launching with the gui option but it said i did not have the gtk interface. i cant seem to find any reference to the correct package so i quit since the documentation on smart is rather sparse.

I was using the smaller hdlists, namely the synthesis.hdlist.cz files, as main and contrib are normally about 25MB each, and on my 256kbps link that takes about 15 minutes or so per list. Best to use compressed index for me

cool, i will try updating my system again tonight if i get home early. i am also using the synthesiz files for contrib since re-downloading 43MB everytime i invoke urpmi.update is not sustainable.

ciao!