Invidia install problems

Geneticus

I have been having a doozy of a time getting graphics drivers to work

I started with an ATI radeon 9800 pro and managed to get the driver installed but I couldn't get cedega to see anything other thatn the stock driver. After 2 days of head banging I gave up and put in an old GF TI4600.

I am getting the Kernel module load error, inserting /usr/src/nv/nvidia.ko

Invalid Module format

After several hours of google I have reached an impass and what I think may be causing the problem.

My config:

2007 + free dist.

I used the update installer thingy to get the newest source but I don't seem to have the source for what I am actually running.

my gcc is 4.1.1 20060724 (prerelease) 4.1.1-3mdk

uname -r

returns: 2.6.17-5mdv

but

rpm -qa|grep kernel

returns:

kernel-2.6.17-5mdv-1-1mdv2007.0

kernel-2.6.17-6mdv-1-1mdv2007.0

kernel-source-2.6.17-6mdv-1-1mdv2007.0

kernel-doc-2.6.17-5mdv-1-1mdv2007.0

Now I have tried to recompile and use the newer one so the source matches but I get an error that it is already installed.

If you want to know what my "blah blah blah" is, please give me the commands and locations to run them as I am a console retard.

You could try removing the driver you installed, by running the script again from how you installed it manually if you downloaded the driver from nvidia.

Do you have your easyurpmi sources installed? If not, click at the link at the top of this page and add main/contrib/updates/plf-free/plf-nonfree.

Then do:

urpmi dkms-nvidia

which will install the nvidia driver for you, and should get you up and running.

You could try removing the driver you installed, by running the script again from how you installed it manually if you downloaded the driver from nvidia.

Do you have your easyurpmi sources installed? If not, click at the link at the top of this page and add main/contrib/updates/plf-free/plf-nonfree.

I didn't get the nvidia driver installed I am curently using the VESA driver. The other driver I installed was for the ATI card.

urpmi dkms-nvidia

ok that worked partway, but It wants to install older drivers now.

Current ones are 8776 from nvidia and it wants to do the 8774

Edited by Geneticus

So I choose to proceed because it seemed easier that fumbling around with the new one.

I got this:

Creating symlink /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/8774-4plf2007.0/source ->

/usr/src/nvidia-8774-4plf2007.0

DKMS: add Completed.

Error! Your kernel source for kernel 2.6.17-5mdv cannot be found at

/lib/modules/2.6.17-5mdv/build or /lib/modules/2.6.17-5mdv/source.

You can use the --kernelsourcedir option to tell DKMS where it's located.

Error! Could not locate nvidia.ko.gz for module nvidia in the DKMS tree.

You must run a dkms build for kernel 2.6.17-5mdv (i586) first.

So I appear to still be running 5 and have source for 6...

I agree, you have to boot the new kernel, so you're running kernel and source are matching. Then try again.

I thought I needed a new kernel img which I don't have so I decided to try another route

After much searching I figured out how to compile and install a kernel

waiting for it to finish building so I can reboot and try the nvidia launcher again with the newer drivers. While not as easy, it's good practice...

Mandriva patch their kernels with god knows only what. I tried in 2006 and it failed badly. Kernel compiled, but things, just stopped working.

Now, I just use the kernels from the urpmi sources.

Can be, but compiling kernels in Mandriva is a bit of a nightmare

I strongly disagree. It isn't bit of a nightmare- it is simply impossible.

So far, I have managed to build a fully functional Mandy kernel just ONCE in the 6+ years I was messing with it, while on Slackware or my current darling, Arch Linux, I can easily build two perfectly functional kernels per day... ;)

The reason is explained above, and it goes like that: While some distros like Slackware and Arch use (pretty much) vanilla sources to build their kernels, distros like Mandriva, SuSE and almost any "easy to handle" distro prefer the policy "a patch is the cure to all diseases". This isn't true, of course, but it does sound like being the truth, until you try using the kernel-source and making something useful out of it. Chances are that you will not be able to do anything constructive...

I think this got misssed.... When I was doing the kernel upgrade with urpmi I wasn't able to make a boot img file. Everything else was created except that. I didn't think a manual install of the mdv kernel would go well so....well you know the rest...

I got a vanilla kernel compiled and installed and can boot to it for the most part. Urpmi isn't my friend. when I ran it a ton of crap downloaded and filled my root partition. 7gb :( so KDE won't load till I get some stuff cleaned out. I'll probably go and do a total reinstall though to a faster drive with a little more space. I was using a 40gb drive for mandriva, a 60gb mount for /www and a 60gb mount for /ftp.

I'll do a reinstall and load up mandriva on the 60, use the 40 for /www, leave ftp alone, and save the other 60 for downloads...

BTW this is the guide I followed for the vanilla kernel upgrade, worked very well for me.

Quick and Easy Kernel Compile Upgrade, Mandriva 2006

Edited by Geneticus

What boot img file? Urpmi normally does the kernel installs perfectly.

the /boot/initrd-2.6.17-6mdv.img

and the initrd.img symlink was pointing to the .....17-5mdv.img file

I am thinking that because my root partition was full it couldn't make the img file....

the config-2.6.17-6mdv and system.map-2.6.17-6mdv were created though

No worries though, the 2.6.18.2 kernel is working fine and I managed to get the Nvidia drivers working and detected by cedega. I had 2 problems there.

1. The ati driver was still installed

2. I needed to downgrade driver versions due to a driver bug that wouldn't let opengl/glx function.

Now if only I could get moodin installed :(