Graphics cards

oldnoob

I have a 128 ATI Radeon 9250 graphics card in my linux box at home which when I run glxgears returns roughly 1300fps (driver is installed). The box has a Pentium 4 3.2g with 512 ram running mdk2006. When playing around with a 2007 live cd on a box at work and looking at 3d desktop, I ran glxgears and it returns roughly 6300fps. That box has a Pentium 4 2.4g with 512 ram and a nvidia gf4 64mb Ti4200 graphics card.

To me that seems a huge difference, is it just the graphics card that makes such a difference or are there other factors? I want to upgrade to 2007 soon and i have the opportunity to swap cards. 2007 live cd wouldnt even let me run a 3d desktop on my ati card. So my question is... which card is better, 128 ATI Radeon 9250 or nvidia gf4 64mb Ti4200.

Thanks

yes just a video card difference mostly

2007 live cd wouldnt even let me run a 3d desktop on my ati card.

This must be a configuration issue

Am running 3D desktop super fast enough with a radeon 9250

with the open source driver. You can boost the FPS to 2000 by installing

driconf

My 2cents, you can install 2007 on a spare partition, and the 9250 will be more than enough

emmanuel_uk: open source driver doesnt work for all cards, and it's performance is far below par of the closed source driver.

For performance, the nvidia should be substantially better. For freedom/ease of configuration, mandriva should handle the radeon better as it has an open source driver.

glxgears aint a good benchmark, load up ET or something, and you should get a far better idea.

James

emmanuel_uk: open source driver doesnt work for all cards, and it's performance is far below par of the closed source driver.

Sorry, what is the relevance of your comment when the newest ATI closed source driver does not support the 9xxx series anymore?

glxgears aint a good benchmark

Indeed. But just to know if the 3d desktop will work, it is indicative enough, IMHO. You are right if really wanting to compare the two cards in finer details

i have the opportunity to swap cards

You do not need to, this is what I meant, to run the 3d desktop.

If you are into gaming this might be a different story

I have a 128 ATI Radeon 9250 graphics card in my linux box at home which when I run glxgears returns roughly 1300fps (driver is installed). The box has a Pentium 4 3.2g with 512 ram running mdk2006. When playing around with a 2007 live cd on a box at work and looking at 3d desktop, I ran glxgears and it returns roughly 6300fps. That box has a Pentium 4 2.4g with 512 ram and a nvidia gf4 64mb Ti4200 graphics card.

To me that seems a huge difference, is it just the graphics card that makes such a difference or are there other factors? I want to upgrade to 2007 soon and i have the opportunity to swap cards. 2007 live cd wouldnt even let me run a 3d desktop on my ati card. So my question is... which card is better, 128 ATI Radeon 9250 or nvidia gf4 64mb Ti4200.

Thanks

This is what I get on my ATI Radeon 9250 128MB card as well. Using the open-source driver, since I've never been able to get the ATI driver to work on any Mandrake/Mandriva regardless of revision. Could have been just me though, but I doubt it :P

Thanks all for the replies. I was planning to install on a seperate partition, so if my card is capable of running a 3d desktop I will stick with it for the time being. I may try games further down the track, but I prefer my family to use the xbox for that, so if my card is an issue I can always swap it later, or even buy a new one if finances permit.

Cheers

Edited by oldnoob