NFS/RAID Mirror Down ?

Guest Journeyman35

Guest Journeyman35

There is nothing posted ANYWHERE on the entire planet that makes any sense whatsoever. An exercise in abandoning MS Windows in favour of the free love philosophy of Linux has fast turned into a waste of time and effort. Somebody for godsake please tell me how to fix this in plain everyday common to understand, bullet pointed english.

How the heck do you fix this error: NFS/RAID Mirror Down ?

So far I know enough to list this information. I have

1 40g HDD windows XP (hd0). The BIOS startup points to this.

1 160g Sata Mandriva 2007 (sdb) to which I have installed Mandriva 2007 Linux (Live) from a magazine.

It's installed, but won't install the bootloader and I can't do squat.

I have messed with the BIOS, redone the MBR over and over, (and fixboot), and sacrificed my cat to the gods of linux. I have attempted GRUB, I have attempted LILO, researched all over the web for a basic stock standard answer, that doesn't require a PhD in advanced alternative operating system lifestyle theory.

Isn't this OS supposed to be the challenger to the almighty MS? I'm sure from what I've experienced far, Billy is safe on his stack of cash.

HOW do I get the F...ing thing to f...work.

A serious, decent answer most apreciated.

Cheers

There's a nicer way to go about asking your question than slagging it off.

Anyway, you say you've tried to install grub/lilo, so where? /dev/sda? /dev/sdb? MBR on these disks, or somewhere else?

What partitions did you create? reiserfs? standard partitions or raid partitions?

If you can provide some more information, we might just be able to find out what you've done wrong and why you're getting the error message. First time I've ever seen a post about it, so sounds like you did the install wrong.

Guest Journeyman35
Almost Welcome to the wonderful world of Mandriva B)

Where and when do you get that error?

From what I can see of it in the live installation I think it's going to be a good learning tool...except it doesn't get beyond the Boot Loader main options screen, which is a real prick becuase according to the installation walkthough I have, its only about half way through the install proceedure.

I've also tried to test the configuration using the live install (the installation into ram - which works just fine) to try to install just the Boot Loader.

Also, it's clear to me that after everything I try I have to repair the MBR and fixboot.

Feels like :wall:

Guest Journeyman35
There's a nicer way to go about asking your question than slagging it off.

Anyway, you say you've tried to install grub/lilo, so where? /dev/sda? /dev/sdb? MBR on these disks, or somewhere else?

What partitions did you create? reiserfs? standard partitions or raid partitions?

If you can provide some more information, we might just be able to find out what you've done wrong and why you're getting the error message. First time I've ever seen a post about it, so sounds like you did the install wrong.

I didn't install it wrong. there was no problem until the bootloader screen. I installed it a number of times using both SUSE(Novell) and Mandriva. Both are fairly easy follow, I created a "/" (ext3 journalised), a "swap", and a "/home"(ext3 journalised), on each occasion onto "sdb". Mandriva won't allow a MBR install, only GRUB and LILO. I tried them both, with fresh installations.

The sdb is a second sata drive. sda is a windows storage drive. They not raided together and operate seperatly.

GRUB always returns an "error 22" on loading, and stalls the system. Lilo returns NFS/RAID Mirror down error.

I've tried installing the boot loader on hd0 and sdb and messed about setting the bios to load each in turn. The result is always the same.

Also, there's a forum on here called Bootloader but I can't work out how to fix the problem based on it. The person said they found the problem in the bios but I'll be damned if I can work it out.

Guest Journeyman35
With grub installed, why don' t you try unplugging the windows harddrive?

Well, the point is that I can duel boot linux and Windows so I maintain one while learning to use the other. I don't wanna keep pulling my machine apart when this bootloader is supposed to do it.

Well, the point is that I can duel boot linux and Windows so I maintain one while learning to use the other. I don't wanna keep pulling my machine apart when this bootloader is supposed to do it.

It' s just for testing purpose, once you have one drive set up, you can move on to more. Setting up a bootloader isn't as straightforward as one would imagine :sad: not in Linux nor Windows

Edited by ffi

It' s just for testing purpose, once you have one drive set up, you can move on to more. Setting up a bootloader isn't as straightforward as one would imagine :sad: not in Linux nor Windows

I second that and not just for you....

Its really easy to mess up a disk during install.... it could be user error (selecting the wrong one) or it could be the partitioning prog.

As there are some issues with SATA drives or more specifically the controllers I wouldn't trust the installer to be safe... working on the principle if it screws up they obviously didn't test your controller thoroughly...

Im suprised with Suse though (I don't like Suse for 101 other reasons but it usually works )

Mandriva doesn't surprise me.... hardware support is always a bit ?on/off? Ionce trahed my data drive during a mandriva install simply because I left it plugged in and also a compact flash which since the CF emulates SCSI and the data drive was scsi... caused some confusion and the end product I lost 36GB of data...

Honestly... If you have anything on other drives during install UNPLUG THEM.....

Its not a big risk but its a catostrophy if it goes wrong...

Having data on different partitions is usually OK.... except for user error but I wouldn't leave anything half exotic (SCSI, SATA etc) plugged in if its not needed for the install.. adding them back after install and adding Windows to the boot loader is easy...