sound card problems

luke9511

hello everyone its been a while since i posted here so it feels good to post again :D, anyway i just reinstalled linux on an old computer i just recently got and it installed fine, etc but theres no sound, everything is turned on and everything, but it doesnt seem to work, after searching google and reading the posts on here and doing most of the stuff they said to do didnt help, now i can here some sort of static in the speakers but no sound comes out, so if anyone can give me any advice at all i would be greatfull.

ok i think i spoke to soon, when i go to test the sound i get an error, have been trying to get the error back but it wont come back for some reason, but i can play and hear cds, but if i play a mp3 i get a ticking sound in the speakers and also i can hear sounds from videos on the net, i looked in another post about the online video thing and the option someone gave to fix it didnt work for me, so if anyone else has some advice please let me know

• 2 weeks later...
question, is there a reason why my ISA sound card i not in sounddrak, but yet alsa detected it and loaded a driver for it but yet i cant hear sound? and everything is not muted

Because ISA is an ancient bus, which does not provide your kernel enough info about the device IRQ and BIOS interrupts.

You said its a soundblaster 16 ISA. right? Try at first from a root console... ummm, leet me guess... say something like:

modprobe snd-sb16 index=0 id="SB-16" port=0x220 mpu_port=0x330 irq=5 dma8=3 dma16=5 isapnp=0

If the module loads without errors, then you are ready to pass that thing to your modprobe.conf

If not, you have to replace the above values I "guessed" with the right ones. For getting them, simply use commands like "cat/proc/interrupts", "cat/proc/ioports", "cat/proc/dma" and so it goes.