Mandriva2007

AussieJohn

My particular case isn't really a "bug". It is just that a backported driver does not work properly- and this is not Mandriva's fault, as *ALL* 2.6.17.X based distros fail to work properly, or fail to install, or even totally fail to boot on a system with a JMicron SATA/PATA controller.

I am currently using Arch Linux (which uses a 2.6.18.X kernel) and everything is working brilliantly. For the installation, there ware two remedies:

1. Starting from the official 0.7.2 installation CD with the above suggested "linux irqpoll" switch, and doing a netinstaall- which would bring the desired 2.6.18 kernel and peace of mind.

2. Using an unofficial installation CD, made by one of the distro devs, based totally on 2.6.18. That CD will boot straightaway and install the system without any issues.

hey scarecrow!

To everyeone else: when posting information about your hardware, please attempt to find what chipset or kernel module your hardware utilises. Saying "ive got sata" is dead useless to Mandriva, as there's so many sata chipsets. Although most of the ones reported so far in this thread are Core 2 Duos, which means they're probably JMicron SATA+IDE.

James

Edited by iphitus

Hey AussieJohn,

I don't know if you saw my other posts on this topic but my rig is:

DFI Lanparty 875p-t with Intel Corp. ?82801EB ICH5 IDE (SATA) controller onboard. I am NOT using the raid features of this board. I have 2 identical 250gb sata drives and one ata ide drive.

My problem briefly was with 2007 Powerpack the install would fail everytime right after formatting (or not) the install partition. Included with the error message was a list of files that were "missing" that included the kernel files. I tried every boot option in almost every combo (from the errata) but always the same result. I also tried installing to the ide instead of the sata drives - no difference.

I would have blamed the dvd media but, (and here's the odd part) I discovered that if I DISCONNECTED the ide drive the powerpack would install to the sata drive. I didn't try to unplug the sata and install to the ide only.

This was fine until I trashed the 2007 install AFTER having put the computer back together and re-inserting it into my desk.

I eventually burned a "One" iso and was able to install from that and add packages from the powerpack files manually via urpmi.

Odd though, don't you think?

Thanks oshunluvr for your info. It definately seems like part of the problem.

Next time if you have to do a reinstall of 2007, please try the procedure I used and see if the result tallys with my experience.

This is really getting interesting. Thanks for your hardware info and for taking part.

Cheers. John.

Since we are still getting posts (slowly) I think it will do no harm to keep this thread going till 25th NOV. I must close it off then so we can dend the results to AdamW at Mandriva otherwise it will just drag on.

Cheers. John.

Just a bump.

Surely there are more out there who had Mandriva2007 install procedure problems.

Will keep this thread open until the 20th of Dec.

Cheers. John.

I think so but part of the problem is many of the probs seem so fundamental most people will just move on ... you have to be a diehard Mandrivas fan to persist as you did ... and many of us simply have no faith in the Mandriva bug reporting .... I tried years ago and the experience is nothing... you might as well post bug reports to /dev/null

SO since your taking a different approach which seems far more likely to succeed perhaps put that in the thread title.. I have a trash 2007 install but I just tried and when it failed just left it... I can't even remember what the prob was so I guess I can go back and retry it...

I'm hoping the route through adamw will be better, since my bug reports have gone unanswered - and I mean both of the ones I bothered sending. If they don't bother to follow up their bug reports or doing anything about them, I really hope sending to adamw makes a difference.

I'm hoping the route through adamw will be better, since my bug reports have gone unanswered - and I mean both of the ones I bothered sending. If they don't bother to follow up their bug reports or doing anything about them, I really hope sending to adamw makes a difference.

IMHO it can't be worse....

I registered quite a few a long time ago and the feeling you get is you mightest well send them to /dev/null ...

AdamW obviously cares and carries some weight so I think Johns approach is way better!