Mandriva2007

AussieJohn

This thread is to find out other members who have had the same or near similar problem of getting Mandriva2007 to install on SATA drives. My solution was as shown in another thread on this particular topic.

What we need is to know the Mainboard Brand Name and version, SATA Hard drive brand name and type, and Video card brand and type.

I am asking this so we can send a combined result report to AdamW who would very much like this information to give to his Mandriva superiors to enable finding a more suitable fix for the problem than I found necessary.

I only require the data outlined so please save discussions of the subject for other threads where possible.

Thanks to everyone in anticipation. Now lets hear from you.

Cheers. John.

Can I suggest the problem that I experienced with acpi? Or is that something completely unrelated? I submitted a bug report, and sweet f.a was done about it. No replies nothing, but I would still like a solution, since I've had to use apm since which seems a bit backward to me.

Hello Ian.

If it is related to the inability to actually commence or continue the Installation prrocess then Yes.

If Yes then please give us the Hardware data and the actual details of the problem process and what if any solution you came up with.

Cheers. John.

PS this request for info applys to newbies as well as the more experienced users so don't be afraid to come in on this if you have had a problem.

What we are trying to do for AdamW at Mandriva is to supply him with a collection of seemingly related install issues so that they may be considered together rather than as disassociated issues.

JB

It's not actually for progressing install. That I could do perfectly fine, it's just the damn computer wouldn't shut down afterwards, it would just reset itselt and start to boot again. Which forced me to disable acpi and use apm instead, which seemed backward.

As it happens, you can't shut down from the 2007 CD's anyway, even if you try shutdown/halt or whatever.

OK, AMD Athlon XP 1800+ running on a Gigabyte GA7VTXE motherboard (I think - from memory).

Worked perfectly fine in 2006 with acpi. Failed in 2007. Only way to get it to work, adding parameters to lilo or grub:

acpi=off apm=on apm=power-off

Incidently, works fine if I use the 7VTXE F9 BIOS, but my sound doesn't work then. Last workable BIOS of F7 with sound, and it won't shut down. It's not just Mandy though, so I have a funny feeling it's something kernel related or acpi related. Happened in Fedora, although Fedora worked for a week or so before this then failed.

On my current system (Asus P5B-VM mainboard with a Jmicron SATA and PATA controller) the Mandriva 2007 CD fails even booting the system.

The usual trick, as suggested by Pat Volkerding

linux irqpoll

...allows seeing the CD and booting, but installation gets broken somewhere in the middle. It's obvious that the backported driver for the Jmicron controller is not very good.

With Ubuntu 6.10 you can boot the system without any switch, the installation finishes properly, but after rebooting there are problems, like HD I/O errors.

With kernel 2.6.18.X the Jmicron controller works perfectly, but backporting the driver to 2.6.17 shouldn't be that easy.

Edited by scarecrow

Guest matthijs

Hi,

I tried two Mandriva One discs (Gnome and KDE) on two diferent computers. On my brand new laptop Mandriva didn't even boot. One my older desktop the Live mode worked but after installations I was unable to reboot. The KDE cd did work three or for times so I had time to see that Mandriva looks really nice :D

I tried the noapic nolapic en acpi=off but to no avail. Too bad, otherwise I probably would have kept Mandriva a while.

My laptop specs: Intel Core 2 Duo T5500, 100 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400 tpm, NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400 TurboCache.

About my desktop I am not sure: AMD Sempron, SATA and NVIDIA GeForce 5400. If you need more details I have to look that up.

I hope you can come up with a remasted version or something.

Bye,

Martijn

We don't come up with it, we'll report it to Mandriva - as we are an unofficial site for supporting Mandriva the distro. Here:

http://www.mandriva.com

is where the distro is made! As I said, all we're trying to do is find out the problems, and report them to Mandriva. With everyone doing this here on this site, we can hopefully show exactly how many people are affected by them. And possibly a lot!

Guest matthijs

I know. I read some other threads. I should have said "they" in stead of "you". But perhaps you have some more inside information about what they plan to do about this problem. I am not going to use an operation system that I cannot boot. Even if the rest works great.

Good luck with your enquete. :thumbs:

Hi mattijs.

I see where you tried the noapic nolapic and acpi=off routine.

Did you try the method I outlined in an earlier thread as shown below:-

Step 1.

If you are using a similar board to the ASUS A7V600-X that uses the same bios, in the BOOT UP part of the bios it has an item titled INTERRUPT MODE and the default is set to [ PIC ]. It must be changed to [ APIC ].

Make certain that the item titled PLUG-n-PLAY is set at [ NO ] and not [ YES ].

Step 2.

When you insert the install cd/DVD and the boot screen starts running it will show you an initial menu.

Select the heading INSTALLATION, by using the down arrow key but do NOT press the Enter button, i.e. only highlight INSTALLATION.

Type in the following :- pci=nomsi

You will see the text appear at the bottom of the screen. Using the left and right keys, use the backspace key (delete) to delete acpi=ht and nolapic and noapic.

Step 3.

Now hit the Enter key. You should now be able to do the install.

When you are doing your packages selection you will need to make sure that you do not select anything to do with apic or acpi or apic etc.

Step 4.

A very important step is this one.

During the settings procedures later in the Post install phase, setting up the bootloader, it is important that you go in to the boot settings and make sure that there is only splash=silent (this not critical) and pci=nomsi (this is absolutely critical) or you will not be able to reboot successfully.

I found that any single addition in Step 2. and it would not work to enable install and any other additions in the bootloader GRUB and you could not boot up either. I assure you I tried every combination but the initial inspiration was the ERRATA.

Try it and see if it works even though you obviously have different mainboards and therefore different bios.

Ley us know what happens.

Cheers. John.