Screen goes blank right before installation of mandrake 9.0

Guest DaLInus

Guest DaLInus

Hi, I'm having problem installing mandrake 9.0. I downloaded the iso's then burned them on 3 cdr cds. after i put in the first cd to install mandrake it says must reboot to start the installation, so i reboot then it loads into the main menu of mandrake linux at post then it says press f1 for more options or press enter to start installing mandrake linux. when i press enter the bar starts to load but when it done my computer just freezes, the screen goes blank, the installation doesn't even starts. I also tried pressing f1 for options and tried text mode, and others but i still get the same problem.

here is the description of my system:

my motherboard is EP-8KHA+ (http://www.epox.com/html/motherboard.asp?product=EP-8KHAplus&lang=1)

950mhz system with athlon amd. the bios is updated to the latest version.

2 hard drives, one is 30 gigs and i repartition it to 20 gigs ntfs which is my windows xp is installed and other 10 gigs also ntfs which is empty for linux that i can't even install.

and the second hard drive is 10 gigs full ntfs which i use for apps and games.

I got a video ati radeon 9000 pro, i have tried using my old video card ati 8500 pro and it still didn't work either. therefore i doubt it the video card. Any ideas? thanks :shock:

2 hard drives, one is 30 gigs and i repartition it to 20 gigs ntfs which is my windows xp is installed and other 10 gigs also ntfs which is empty for linux that i can't even install.

Thats your first problem, Linux should have empty space to install to. Go back and make that 10 gigs ntfs empty, unallocated space, then try again, mandrake should start to install now. :lol:

Don't forget to setup your BIOS so that the cdrom is the first drive in the boot up sequence.

You don't have to delete the 10gig partition in advance. Yes Linux won't be able to use NTFS, but the MDK installer can delete and re-allocate it for you.

What I would suggest is to try the CD in another machine, and see what happens. Corrupted ISOs or CDs are quite common (risk of downloading from the web) and that could cause your problm. Also try running the checksums on the ISOs.

Guest DaLInus

ummm i doubt that would work because before when i didn't even have the 10 gigs ntfs for linux, it was a whole 1 drive 30 gigs ntfs, and i still received the same problem.

I tried to used those cds on other computer, and this other computer had a 40 gigs ntfs drive. (no other partitions was made in that computer) it works fine, the bar loads up then the installation proceeds. Any other suggestions?? thanks. :o

Are you saying that the install begins on one machine but not the one you want it on? If so, that suggests something is amiss on the hardware side. You should also run the md5sums on the disks you downloaded to see if you have a problem there. Get software calculating them for dos or Windows here: http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/verifyiso.html . Get the md5sums from the site you downloaded the iso's from. They will be listed in the same directory.

Counterspy

For clarification, are you saying that on this particular pc you must always reboot in order to start the process?

two things come to mind:

The screen you are describing might come up if you start with the 2nd cd instead of the first cd, but the reboot doesn't make sense.

On a pc that has a reboot request despite the program that you are installing (in this case, Mandrake) It seems like a boot sector or image of some sort that is interfearing with the install boot loader. Compaq and IBM were real good at having these special partitions on their factory loaded machines. Just guesses. Given your hardware, it seems this is unlikely, but it sure acts like it. I won't allow an xp infection on my box, so I am not sure how xp loads. I know that when I administrated an nt network, I only used ntfs on the server partition; the files and other software were loaded on fat partitions for ease of recovery.

The possibility of a manufacturer's partition had not occurred to me previously. Left out in the discussion is the need to use scandisk and defrag before proceeding with the install. A manufacturer's partition is one put there to recover Windows using a custom CD and not a CD with a full version of Windows. One thing you could do is make room on the second drive and seeing if that makes a difference. If you have two CD drives, you might try reversing them on the cable so the one you are booting from is switched to the other. Note that you need to change jumpers if you try this. A clue to whether this is a CD problem is whether any other program has had trouble loading from the CD you are using now. From your description, I would try the CD switch before the other hard drive since it is not getting far enough to load the installer into ram.

Counterspy

after i put in the first cd to install mandrake it says must reboot to start the installation
Thats very unusual. Is it possible that it is a problem of the KT266A chipset not being supported by the kernel? Why don't u try out mandrake-9.1rc2 and see if that installs ok (u got nothing to lose) ?