Laptop reboots often

joaopa

Since I upgraded my laptop with mandriva 2007, laptop shutdowns often with the message that cpu has 89° degrees Celsius. It is weird because, with Mandriva 2006, I never had this problem. And with my dual-boot, my laptop works fine. So, it is a problem with my mandriva 2007 and/or my configuration.

I checked that acpi is checked in service. CPUFREQ is also checked. CPUfreqd is also checked but is stopped... Click on Start dors not change its state....

My problem occurs mainly when I compile wine, since CPU is loaded a lot.....

Anyone has an idea to solve my problem?

Joaopa

Usually after install, it tells you to run sensors-detect, did you not see this bit of information?

See this post, after I did a search on this forum:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...amp;mode=linear

all you need to know. Google is also a nice place to start if you're not sure what to do!!!

laptop shutdowns often with the message that cpu has 89° degrees

in a terminal tail -f /var/log/syslog or /var/log/messages

or

tac /var/log/syslog | less

would help to identify which services decides to shut down your system

or what the exact messages is

What laptop by the way? What model?

Tosh and IBM have special kernel modules, so

maybe T reading happens even without lm_sensors, not sure.

(for example /proc/acpi/ibm/thermal or whatsnot)

So I think you have some routes to explore, it is best to come back

when you have more info and having done extra searches, so we all have a better idea of what is going on (my 2 cents)

If the CPU is reaching 89C, then they system should be shutting down. However, a temperature this high would likely be very noticeable on the laptop casing - see if you can feel any uncommon heat.

If it's not actually reaching 89C, then it's definitely an issue with the sensors on your system. Are you sure you should be using acpi? Some systems use apic, IIRC, but it's different from one to the next. You should be able to check what your system uses in your BIOS.

Here is the /var/log/syslog after the 120000000000000000-th reboot of my laptop

Moreover lm-sensors doesn't work. It complains about that /sys is not mounted, although I have the following line in my /etc/fstab

none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0 .

I become crazy

Joaopa

Make sure speed stepping / frequency throttling modules and daemons such as speedstep-centrino, powernowd, cpufreqd or similoar, are loaded and running. If that's not done, the kernel will run the CPU at full speed all time, even if the CPU is not loaded. This will draw a lot of power, and turn the laptop hot.