CDRW: newly installed; need some input

kmack

First time to try this and have read HOW TO and several similar posts but am still a bit lost. :oops:

Running 9.0 and KDE 3.0.5a with latest updates.

1) Installed new Liteon CDRW as Master on IDE2 and took CDR off master and made it Slave on IDE2.

2) Appended lilo.cfg and made BOTH drives scsi see results:

boot=/dev/hda

map=/boot/map

vga=normal

default=linux

keytable=/boot/us.klt

prompt

nowarn

timeout=100

message=/boot/message

menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw

ignore-table

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label=linux

root=/dev/hda5

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="quiet devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"

vga=788

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label=linux-nonfb

root=/dev/hda5

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount"

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label=failsafe

root=/dev/hda5

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="failsafe devfs=nomount"

read-only

other=/dev/hda1

label=windows

table=/dev/hda

other=/dev/fd0

label=floppy

unsafe

3) Then using MCC, disabled supermount, (as suggested by many), and created mount points for scd0 and scd1

4) This made changes to fstab as follows:

/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hda8 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/scd0 /mnt/scd0 auto user,noauto 0 0

/dev/scd1 /mnt/scd1 auto user,noauto 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda7 /usr ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0

Then I wanted to install cdrecord and xcdroast but using Install Software GUI it asks to insert cd2 in hdc and now it doesn't exist/respond.

Here is my cd device config:

[kelly@localhost kelly]$ dmesg | grep CD

hdc: LITE-ON LTR-48246S, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

hdd: CD-956E/AKV, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Vendor: E-IDE CD  Model: -956E/AKV         Rev: A92

Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 2, lun 0

Attached scsi CD-ROM sr1 at scsi0, channel 0, id 3, lun 0

Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12

[kelly@localhost kelly]$

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to create or change a sym link somewhere?

Thanks for help sorting this out-- I am going in slow circles and not seeing what I am doing wrong. :oops:

pmpatrick: Thanks for your input! It is about bedtime here! :wink:

Yes, I need to change those source CD's. Will see if I can do that in the morning.

I think that I should be able to use a sym link to point to it too. That might save me from having to redo all the audio settings and setup too. Anybody out there that can point me in the right direction on that?

ls /mnt looks like this:

[kelly@localhost kelly]$ ls /mnt

cdrom/  disk/  floppy/  scd0/  scd1/  windows/

Seems /mnt/cdrom/ does not really get pointed to anything since I changed things to the scsi settings. So I need to figure out what to do about that.

It will seem simpler in the morning.

Hi

Here is what I would do to reinstall the rpm sources:

1) Remove all the existing one either from the MCC or by typing as root

urpmi.removemedia -a

2) Put cd1 in once of you drive (scd0 or scd1), mount it and type the following as root:

urpmi.addmedia --distrib cdrom removable:///mnt/scd0 (or scd1)

That should do the trick..

MOttS

Motts: Thanks for your advice ! I have successfully changed the sources and installed cdrecord and xcdroast. (thanks again to pmpatrick too-- you were right on!)

I used Software Source Manager and deleted the distrib CD sources and then put the cd 1 in /dev/scd1 (my cdr) and added them using the urpmi.addmedia command you suggested. Worked great!

Now am trying to figure out the configuration for those as I keep getting access denied. Will try a bit more and then post to Software forum.

Blessings!

Now am trying to figure out the configuration for those as I keep getting access denied.  Will try a bit more and then post to Software forum.

Here is the line in my /etc/fstab for my burner. I don't have any 'access denied' error. The important options to access the device as a normal user are 'user' and 'umask=0'

/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/cd    /mnt/Burner     iso9660 noauto,ro,user,umask=0  0 0

HTH

MOttS

MottS: Thanks for more input! Hmmm! My fstab is a bit different. I used MCC to create the mount points/set options/users, etc. and saved the changes to fstab via the MCC GUI interface.

my burner entry is /dev/scd0 in fstab:

/dev/scd0 /mnt/scd0 iso9660 user,noauto 0 0 

/dev/scd1 /mnt/scd1 iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

I don't clearly understand the syntax here so will try to read up on it and see if I can understand what's missing and how to set it right. :-)

Blessings!

I personnally don't like GUI and the MCC is a GUI. GUI prevents you to really understand what you are doing...

Anyway. Hmm.. here is the syntax of /etc/fstab:

<fs> <mountpoint> <type> <opts> <dump/pass>

<fs> = device or filesystem to mount (in your case /dev/scd0 which is probably a symlink to /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/cd]

<mountpoint> = mountpoint (in your case /mnt/scd0)

<type> = type of filesystem (One of those: adfs, affs, autofs, coda, coherent, cramfs, devpts, efs, ext, ext2, ext3, hfs, hpfs, iso9660, jfs, minix, msdos, ncpfs, nfs, ntfs, proc, qnx4, ramfs, reiserfs, romfs, smbfs, sysv, tmpfs, udf, ufs, umsdos, vfat, xenix, xfs, xiafs)

<opts> = Options. Those are really importants. They can prevent normal users to read or write to certain device or allow the user to read/write ...type 'man mount' to have a list of those options.

But I really think that adding 'umask=0' to your /dev/scd* lines should should solve your 'access denied' error..

MOttS

MottS: You sure are a help to me! I am still learning cmd line in linux and it has been a long time since I did much... 79 or so when I starting using DOS so I struggle with the syntax issues. :oops:

I also note on your fstab (and others I see posted) that you have

/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/cd  /mnt/Burner   iso9660 noauto,ro,user,umask=0 0 0

Mine fstab for cd burner is:

/dev/scd0 /mnt/scd0 iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

I note you have ro before the user,unmask=0 0 0 option Wondering what that is for and if I need to add that too?

I also tried to run cdrecord as user and get "access denied" so have a permission problem there too. I'll read the manpage and see if there is a config setting to change that or a file permission that is wrong/incomplete.

Sometimes learning is fun, eh? :wink:

Hi kmack.

I note you have ro before the user,unmask=0 0 0  option Wondering what that is for and if I need to add that too?

All the options are listed in the man page of the 'mount' command. To read the man page, open up a console and type 'man mount' or type 'man:/mount( 8 )' in Konqueror if you are using KDE as a desktop manager. The order in which you put the options does not make anything. In order words I could put ro before umask=0 or umask=0 before ro and that would give the same result. Ok so here is some option description for your convenience (from 'man mount')

ro => Mount the file system read-only. (you want to mount a cdrom .. so even if you put is read and write .. LOL)

umask=value => Set the umask (the bitmask of the permissions that are not present). The default is the umask of the current process. The value is given in octal.

* If you put that value to '0' then everyone will have access to the mounted file system. Basically you want to put this value to 0

user => Allow an ordinary user to mount the file system. The name of the mounting user is written to mtab so that he can unmount the file system again. This option implies the options noexec, nosuid, and nodev (unless overridden by subsequent options, as in the option line user,exec,dev,suid).

* If you don't put that option, only root will be able to mount a cd.. you definitively want to put 'user'.

I also tried to run cdrecord as user and get "access denied" so have a permission problem there too.  I'll read the manpage and see if there is a config setting to change that or a file permission that is wrong/incomplete.

Ok so did you try to install K3b (a cdrecording sofware) or anything related to cdrecord? What do you get by typing 'ls -l /usr/bin/cdrecord'? Usually a normal user can at least type 'cdrecord' at a console and get something else than 'access denied'. But if you tried to run 'cdrecord --scanbus' then you HAVE to be root to type that. What did you try exactly?

We're getting close...

HTH

MOttS

MottS: You're the best! Thanks for your patience. I did read the man mount and had some of it figured out and your post helped confirm my understanding.

Last evening I got extremely ill with high fever and the works. Had hallucinations that a worldwide computer virus mutated and was making me and 1000's of other internet users ill! :lol: Sounds funny, but it was a very long and sleepless night for me! It makes it hard to concentrate and work on this so not sure how much I will try to do today.

I installed cdrecord and xcdroast after getting things going.

Here is the info you asked about:

[kelly@localhost kelly]$ ls -l /usr/bin/cdrecord

-rws--x---    1 root     cdwriter   244620 Sep  3  2002 /usr/bin/cdrecord*

[kelly@localhost kelly]$

I followed the readme doc from cdrecord and setup a group "cdwriter" but after I did that is when I got sick, so haven't gone much further.

/dev/scd0 /mnt/scd0 iso9660 user,noauto,ro,unmask=0 0 0

/dev/scd1 /mnt/scd1 iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

I will go back into fstab and do the same to scd1 which is the CDR

When I try xcdroast from the KDE menu, it still gives me "access denied" error! I'll rest a bit and try to figure out where it is "going south."

Blessings!

Hi kmack

I think the fever you are talking about is around here... my server restarted by itself this night and all the clocks in my home flashes.. :lol:

[kelly@localhost kelly]$ ls -l /usr/bin/cdrecord

-rws--x---  1 root cdwriter  244620 Sep 3 2002 /usr/bin/cdrecord*

OK .. if you installed XCDroast then you have to run it first as root. Open a console, su to root (su + password) and type 'xcdroast'. It is going to ask you something like "Do you want other users to use XCDroast?"... answer yes and shutdown XCDroast. This should include your users in the XCDroast group. Now start the app as a normal user from the KDE menu. That should works now. Does it?

You're the best! Thanks for your patience

HEY! .. no problem man. I got those problems before and some folks here helped me figure out the problem. So I'm just doing the same thing for you now. That's a pleasure to help people anyway...

HTH

MOttS

MottS: Back on again for a few minutes. Still pretty sick here. Need a special antivirus or something... :lol:

I did run xcdroast as root the first time and have tried again. It shows that it is in "Non-root user mode" but when I type xcdroast from my user prompt it still gives me access denied. Hmmm!

Warning:

Access Denied!

You have no permission to start X-CD-Roast on that host.

Ask the superuser to add you to the allow-list.

Since it refers to on that host I made sure to add localhost to the list but it still denied me access.

I did a quick shutdown and restart and it came back up and all is working just fine now. I can access as user and see data from the CDR, etc. Have not tried to burn anything yet as I am a bit light headed and sweaty from breaking another round of fever. But things are looking up!

Thanks for sticking with me. It is nice to have a friend standing by when you are wrestling with a problem. You certainly helped me see things that I was missing.

Blessings!