MCC in 2007

AussieJohn

Well here is my first major complaint about running 2007.

Mandriva took a fairly straight forward packages install and uninstall setup that worked and turned it into a piece of complicated junk ( it is the only polite word I can think of at the moment ) :wall:

Not only is it more complicated to follow all the mini menus that seem to go on and on, but all the installed packages finish up listed in the To Install section. If that is the aim then why waste space with an uninstall section.

It also does not retain the lists that are downloaded via easy-urpmi so one has to go through the download lists procedure again rather than update them via MCC which is the usual. The facility is there, it just doesn't seem to result in anything.

And some of the choices for grouping really does make you wonder. Kipi-plugins, for example are in librarys ??? and many others are so bewildering that I can't hope to list them here nor do I want to bother.

Anyone else got some input on this issue would be appreciated.

Everything else seems to be ok at the moment but I am slowly working my way through 2007.

Cheers. John.

I tend to use urpmi from the command line mostly, but I did look at the gui interface and thought it looked OK with it all being combined together. Honestly haven't used it that much to find the flaws that you have though.

When I search for packages:

urpmf --name package

gives me the results, for example:

urpmf --name kernel

would give me all packages with kernel in the name. Then of course the usual urpmi to install, or urpme to remove. Of course, to check if I have got something installed, I'm always using:

rpm -qa | grep package

and this would list me all packages with kernel in the name if I used:

rpm -qa | grep kernel

of course, I know you prefer the gui, this is just what I always end up using now because of the way my work has led me when building servers without gui's, and therefore had no other choice.

I think maybe I should try to use the gui one more and see if I prefer it now, than before with each of the separate apps to run.

Well here is my first major complaint about running 2007.

Mandriva took a fairly straight forward packages install and uninstall setup that worked and turned it into a piece of complicated junk ( it is the only polite word I can think of at the moment ) :wall:

Not only is it more complicated to follow all the mini menus that seem to go on and on, but all the installed packages finish up listed in the To Install section. If that is the aim then why waste space with an uninstall section.

I agree that the way they have it set up, the "uninstall" selection is superfluous. Actually though, I rather like having the listing of what's installed as well as what's available in one place - but then why have a mostly duplicate thing such as the "uninstall"? If this is the way they want to do it, there are a few things that would make it nicer to use - such as an "expand all" so you can see what is in all groups wthout having to click on each one (and it's sub-listing); make the "all updates" the default selection, or allow me to choose what my default display is. I also miss having the "select all", or if it is there, I have not found it.

It also does not retain the lists that are downloaded via easy-urpmi so one has to go through the download lists procedure again rather than update them via MCC which is the usual.

Not sure what you are saying here, I tend to use urpmi for installing new programs as much as MCC, use MCC mostly for doing updates, and have not noticed a problem, but then again, I may not know what I am looking for.

The facility is there, it just doesn't seem to result in anything.

And some of the choices for grouping really does make you wonder. Kipi-plugins, for example are in librarys ??? and many others are so bewildering that I can't hope to list them here nor do I want to bother.

The grouping do not seem to make much sense, and I have a hard time believing some of the dependency listings as well. Click on uninstall openssh as an example, and look at the other packages that "must be removed". What do most of these have to do with openssh???

Anyone else got some input on this issue would be appreciated.

Everything else seems to be ok at the moment but I am slowly working my way through 2007.

Cheers. John.

Overall, having now run 2007 for most of a month, I am not as pleased with it as I was with 2006 and 2005LE.

The new rpmdrake is a complete rewrite of the old one not just an improvemed new version and it's missing some functions which the old one knew. I tried it twice and didn't like the dependency handling and packages not showing up in the list etc so I followed wobo's advice and I installed smart and KSmartTray and I'm pleased with it. At the moment it's much better than the new rpmdrake. After they fixed the issues with rpmdrake I'll try it again but for now smart is my choice.

The new rpmdrake is a complete rewrite of the old one not just an improvemed new version and it's missing some functions which the old one knew. I tried it twice and didn't like the dependency handling and packages not showing up in the list etc so I followed wobo's advice and I installed smart and KSmartTray and I'm pleased with it. At the moment it's much better than the new rpmdrake. After they fixed the issues with rpmdrake I'll try it again but for now smart is my choice.

I never had any real success with smart in 2006, but will try it again now that I have 2007 going. Several things don't seem to work as well for me in 2007 as they did in 2006, maybe this will be the exception. Adding smart now....