Installing Opera 6.1--Staic or Shared??

Pepse

I have a CD from an English Linux mag that includes Opera 6.1. And, whether I use "tar.gz" or "RPMS" there is a choice between "static" and "shared". I have no clue as to the difference. I know I will use the RPM files as I have had luck as of late unloading RPMs. And another question is: I have never taken anything off of a CD before (in Linux), so do I create a directory and click and slide the chosen RPM into the directory to unload or.............??

Later. Pepse.

Static issue will avoid dependency issues and is what I am running here.

Suggest you might want to download 6.12 that has just been released as it is better than 6.11 from all reports so far. Improved fonts, etc which would be a blessing... 6.1 is a bit coarse until you tweak it.

I like to copy the rpm to hd and run from there, but you can do it from the cd too or create a directory, add it as a new source and urpmi it if you want.

You might want to read man rpm, man urpmi.addmedia, urpmi and some of the urpmi how to's in the Doc section of this board and the Old MUO board as they will really help you understand how to use these tools. It helped me to print them because reading them on screen seemed to stretch them out and I could not always relate to what they were saying.

First off, I will go to the Opera web and see how long it takes to download using a 56K modem. I do recall hearing of problems with 6.11, so yea, it would be better if I went with 6.12. Now could you elaborate on this "dependency" issue? I need a better idea of what you're saying.

Later. Pepse.

static means all functionalities needed by an app is built-in thus a larger binary file size. shared means that there is a central library that feeds the functionalities that an app may need thus reducing the size. the problem here is if an app needs a specific version to work and you either have an earlier or a newer version (even if the difference is just a minor bugfix release).

when it comes to opera, there is usually two dependeny pitfalls: libpng and libqt. libpng is usually solved by installing libpng2 side by side with libpng3 but this is only if you are using an old version of an opera rpm. new packages arent affected much. the more difficult is the qt version. for me i just download the static qt version and doesnt fiddle with the additional task of praying if my opera installation would work. :)

ciao!

OK, I downloaded the Static version RPM of 6.12; I'll open it later. Being that I have no former version of Opera on my system I assume I won't have any hassles with the 2 dependency issues you mention?

Later. Pepse.

I gotta few other things to do shortly, that is why I'll work on installing later.

Right, if you have the static, it means its all built in. It's also useful if you are upgrading to a new version of Mandrake to have the static version.

To install Opera, su to root and go to the directory where you have the rpm. Then

urpmi opera (hit tab character)

and press return

To make an icon for it, just right-click on your menu and add to panel a launcher. In the command line, all you have to put is

opera

An icon should be available also..

OK, it is in my system, somewhere. But, I am not able to add a launcher for it. If I understand you correctly I put the mouse icon over the KDE logo in the bottom left of my screen and right click and click on panel-add-applet-app launcher (or even quick launcher) and it put an icon in the bottom right area on the other side of my clock. OK, so when I right click on the folder it asks to add an app and of course I can't add Opera because it ain't in MDK 9.0. So, do you have any other ideas as to adding the icon either to my desktop or in the tray at the bottom??

Later. Pepse.

Hi, Pepse

First off, see if there is an icon for opera in your KDE launch menu as follows:

1. left click on the K (launch/start menu button, bottom left)

2. move cursor to Networking ->Internet....and see if an Opera icon might already be there.

I think when I first installed Opera 1.1 that Opera automatically placed an icon there in the menu, but I might be incorrect. If it's there, then left-click and hold it to drag to the desktop. You'll be given an option to Move, Link, or Copy. Choose Copy and a shortcut icon will appear on your desktop.

If the icon is *not* in your start menu under Networking ->Internet, then the following steps will help you to create one on your desktop:

1. rt. click on desktop ->Create New...->left click on Link to Application.

2. In the Properties box you will see a field with "Link to Application" highlighted to the right of a cog wheel. If needed, highlight it and type Opera to replace it. In a few steps, we'll come back to the General tab and create the Opera icon. But for now, go on to the next step:

3.Click on the Execute tab and in the Command field type:

soundwrapper /usr/bin/opera

note the space between soundwrapper and the first forward slash. Be sure to keep it all lowercase as Linux is case sensitive.

4. Now click back on the General tab, then left click on the cog wheel icon.

You'll get a "Select Icon" dialog box. Make sure the System Icons radio button is activated. Wait a few seconds for all the icons to appear in the wide field below.

5. Scroll through all the icons until you see two for Opera. Left click on the icon you prefer and you'll be brought back to the Properties for Opera -KDesktop window. Click OK and you will see the icon on your desktop.

Now is also want it on your panel:

Left click and drag the desktop icon to the panel and drop it there. It will automatically make a copy on your panel. To move it on your panel to where you wish it to be located, right-click on the panel icon and choose Move. Move your cursor to the proper location on the panel, then click to leave it in that spot.

I am a newbie and nontechie to linux and Mandrake -- a pure point-and-clicker Gui person. I know my instructions are very basic for the real beginner, but these are the kinds of instructions that help me, and perhaps others who are coming from Windows that may read this post.

I hope that you don't feel condescended to by the precise manner that I have written them, as I don't know your Linux/Mandrake skill level.

Please post back to let us know your success. You're the first person I have tempted to help with Linux and Mandrake. I hope this has been useful.

Sincerely,

Richard L.

Sorry I was offline and am just now back again. I'm in SE Asia so we may have a big time difference between us. Looks like everyone gave you very good info!

I'm with Richard L. -- my first post was brief as I was leaving for a time and I wanted to help you get started. Normally I tend to keep it simple. Richard and the others did a great job.

Enjoy Opera-- you'll no doubt find some web pages and java sites that will look strange or not function 100%. That's just Opera. For the most part it is no problem, don't let it frustrate you. It does the same in Windoze too.

:D :D Thank you Richard L. That little tutorial worked great. Although I've been a Linux user for about a year now I don't mind at all if someone gets very simplistic in their instructions. Heck, it's when someone gets too technical that bugs me a bit. Mainly forgetting a part of the command line that once you've been running Linux for awhile you don't think about what you left out. It just gets me to post something like "Huh, What???" Anyway, again, Thanx.

Cannonfodder, I had used Opera when I was a whine-doze user, tho not extensively because it seemed a bit trickier to set up. But, I will give it a good go and hopefully it works out better this time.

And again thanx to everone that posted. Later. Pepse.