Unable to configure urpmi

oldman

Is urpmi for Mandriva 2007 not working or is it unavailable in Mandriva Free 2007?

I have tried to install all the US repositories fron easy-umpri with out any success. Urmpi keeps giving an error that it could not find

hdlist.cz and also that one of the subdirectories does not exist. How to make it work as I wish to install software not on

the cds? The updates do work however by using rpmdrake. This is frustrating to say the least.

I do not have the complete message but here is what I believe is the important part:

retriving source hdlist

....retiving failed: curl: (9) Server denied you to change to the given directory.

Retrival of source hdlist (or synthsis) failed.

I received this message from every US repository as reported by easy-urpmi. This all within the last 7 days.

Just to make sure that it was not an install problem I have reinstalled Mandriva three times in this period.

The only thing that works is the updates from rpmdrake. I can not use rpmdrake to install any sofeware that is not on the distribution disks. I have not been able to configure either urpmi or ramdrake to install software.

I see that the curl error code 9 is: FTP access denied. The server denied login.

How would I get access?

Edited by oldman

I see that the curl error code 9 is: FTP access denied. The server denied login.

could be that the mirrors you selected are currently getting hammered due to the latest release of fedora and ubuntu (plus mandriva a while back). try selecting another mirror and see if its the same. i would go as far as suggest a mirror that is on europe or asia so you will benefit from the timezone difference.

ciao!

I also think that it might be related to overloaded servers. You can however try to retrieve the synthesis.hdlist.cz file. If that works, then the main hdlist.cz file is borked. Some days ago, Mandriva had started a complete resyncing of all mirrors as the hdlists were messed up, but this should be solved by now, unless some mirrors were forgotten during the process.

(Easy Urpmi only shows one Mandriva update mirror in Canada at present.)

I had trouble with hdlist.cz immediately after I installed 2007, however I thought that at the time, it might have to do with the fact that 2007 was just released and there were no updates available.

However, there were updates and when I changed the information to use the synthesis.hdlist.cz file instead, it has happily and successfully updated each and every time there have been updates. :D

I finally solved my problem. I searched for all the repositories I could find not just the ones on the urpmi list. I finally found one that was not normally included in the easy to find list. I activated that and have not had any trouble since.

Thank you all for you suggestions and help. I did not think of the new releases aand when ramfree17 suggested that I started my search for mirrors other than those in urpmi as thy are the they are the most used sources for many distros.

It may be of interest that the Ga Tech source let me in for Fedora at the same time closed me down for Mandriva. I will say that the Fedora downloard have been slow though.

Edited by oldman

back in tha year, i used to use mirrors that were in the czech republic. i'd want to download in the evenings anyways which was when everyone there was in bed or getting ready to get up. :-)