Disenable Desktop Icons in KDE 3.0

lawsonrc

I have Mandrake 9.0 on my laptop.

Sometimes I prefer not having my desktop icons show on the destkop, particularly if they get in the way of my wallpaper, so I right-click the desktop and choose "Configure desktop....", then I uncheck (untick) Enable Desktop Icons.

There seems to be a bug in Mandrake's KDE 3.0 of version MDK 9.0. After I hide the icons by disenabling them, the cursor changes to the watch and is stuck as such. It only becomes a pointer if I move it to the panel.

Then, if I switch to different virtual desktops with the pager, the wallpapers, which are scenic photos, get all messed up and the pager goes berzerk. (Each of the four virtual desktops has a different wallpaper).

Because the desktop becomes unstable, I have to re-check Enable Desktop Icons.

This behavior is only happening in Mandrake 9.0. On my desktop computer, I unfortunately had to put RedHat 8.0 (Mandrake couldn't recognize the CD-Rom drive for the install). Hiding/Disenabling Desktiop icons in KDE 3.0 of RedHat works just fine.

Can anyone help me with a solution.

In advance, Thanks!

Richard L.

Thanks mtweidmann and onurb.

l. First off, I need the desktop icons for other family members who are used to Windows and that's their style for shortcuts (they don't like going into the menu and searching for things nor do they care for multiple panels); otherwise I'd just go ahead and delete them and add more to panels.

2. How do you use hot-keys to launch programs, onurb???

3. What website do I go to in order to update KDE?

4. If I update it, would I have to reconfigure everything all over again: panel, wallpapers, files, desktop icons? If that is the case, it wouldn't be worth it since I've gotten everything like I want it for now.

I appreciate your responses....thanks!

Richard L.

Allright lets take your last point first:

4: Why would you want to update if your satisfied with the way you've tweaked it ?

3: Updates at kde.org

2: In a text console type "kmenuedit" you'll get a dialog, chose the program you want to be associated with the shortcut in the left panel, then in the right bottom corner you see a button marked "none", push it and a second dialog will open, place a X and make the disired shortcut on your keyboard, you will see the combination appear where "none" was marked before. That's it, you can do that with all applications with all kind of key-combinations ! ( the Ctrl key has several pre-set shortcut functions, so you're better off to use the Alt + (a-z), also have a look for the mandrake custom shortcuts in the ControlCenter>Look and Feel> Shortcuts ) HAVE FUN !

1: Each user that logs in under her/his name can have a desktop looking the way he/she prefers, so an empty desktop for you with a sunset background, and an desktop full of icons with Bob the Builder background for the kids.

Bruno

l. First off, I need the desktop icons for other family members who are used to Windows and that's their style for shortcuts (they don't like going into the menu and searching for things nor do they care for multiple panels); otherwise I'd just go ahead and delete them and add more to panels.
Deleting them would only be deleting them for you, not other users....unless you have the same login/user_name.

3. What website do I go to in order to update KDE?

http://www.kde.org/download/

4. If I update it, would I have to reconfigure everything all over again: panel, wallpapers, files, desktop icons? If that is the case, it wouldn't be worth it since I've gotten everything like I want it for now.
Yes, you'd have to reconfig.....but if you plan on getting 9.1, just wait I guess.