Add Printer ... froze ...

Guest Frasir

Hi,

Whenever I try to add printer through KDE Control Centre or Mandriva's Configure Your Computer, the control screen freeze.

From KDE Control Centre, the message windows is: initializing manager

From Mandriva's Configure Your Computer, the message window is: Please wait, Setting Default Printer.

I need to print, please help me.

I have screenshots but can't paste it here.

Thanks very much!

Hi there,

I'm afraid I can't help but I have similar problems. My expierence is as follows:

1st. Same problem as yours when adding the printer (Deskjet 930c) through the MCC where the PC would freeze once I clicked on the add printer.

2nd. Rebooted, then checked if CUPS was started (service). It was not (hmm), OK started CUPS & went back to the add printer - Frooze!!

3rd. Rebooted & checked CUPS again - it was off again! Restarted the CUPS service then rebooted.

4th. Upon reboot went to add printer AGAIN & guess what .. lol it frooze (not even funny now)

5th. Rebooted & headed off to http://localhost:631. Here I did manged to add printer, but only root could print & on top of that the printer was just churning out page after page of a few characters.

6th. Headed back to MCC & guess what this time I could add the already added printer (via the web config), but again the printer was churning out paper.

7th. Rebooted (reminds me of my Windoze days) & again the printer was churning out pages of nothing.

I then gave up... what a joke. Its a bloody printer not rocket science...

I did try a few other things but the CUPS service would just stop when it wanted to & the paper coming out of the printer was very irrating to say the least.

I've used Mandriva when it was called Mandrake as well as Mandriva 2005 & never had a problem with the printer. I did move distros for a while (Fedora 5) & again never had problems with the printer. Now back with Mandriva 2007 I find this a pain especially when everything else is running brilliantly...

Conclusion: I will just wait till the distro matures a little or I find a solution (I'm not looking though as I have XP running in VMware & will do all printing from there for now..)

Edited by jaraeez