Windows/Mandrake sharing FAT32 partition

Guest JavaLinux

Guest JavaLinux

I read a tutorial on how to share data between Mandrake and Windows XP. My setup is Windows XP on hda1 (40GB: Harddrive 1) and Mandrake 10.0 on hdb1 (160GB: Harddrive 2). I did as the tutorial suggested and resized hdb3 (/home partition for mandrake) with partition magic 2004, and created a 5.1 GB FAT32 partition which is to be recognized by both OS's. Windows noticed the FAT32 partition right away as I assigned a drive letter (Z:). I placed a few files into the FAT32 partition and then rebooted the system to Mandrake. In Mandrake I mounted the FAT32 partition to /home/Jon/osfileshare and added the line /dev/hdb7 /home/Jon/osfileshare vfat umask=000 0 0 to the fstab file found in /etc.

I checked the /home/Jon/osfileshare directory and viewed the files that I had placed there when I was previously in windows. I was able to place a text file in the directory that I created on the desktop as well. After rebooting once again to windows, I noticed all the files I had originally placed in the FAT32 partition were there, but the text file I created and placed there while in Mandrake wasn't there. Any suggestions?

[moved from Everything Linux by spinynorman]

Guest JavaLinux

When I tried to write to that FAT32 directory in Mandrake (or place a file in there), it would give me a warning that it could not write to that directory. I can access that directory within shell/root midnight commander, etc.. though.

If I mount it to /mnt/windows/..., will it corrupt any windows files or anything? Is it safe?

Guest JavaLinux

Now I can write to the directory once again in Mandrake. I forgot to add vfat in fstab again.

OK, after rebooting into Mandrake today I noticed I misplaced the text file I thought I added to the /home/Jon/osfileshare directory. I actually placed it in another directory, and so when I put it in there and rebooted to windows the file showed up fine. However, when I was in Mandrake I noticed two windows folders that I had not previously placed in the osfileshare directory. They were "system volume information" and "RECYCLED." After I had rebooted to windows when I was checking for the text file, I noticed those two windows folders did not show up in the FAT32 partition (mounted as Z: in windows). Why is this?

Edited by JavaLinux

Guest JavaLinux

No, I didn't configure it to show or hide them. I'm not sure how I would. I just followed the tutorial to add /dev/hdb7 /home/Jon/osfileshare umask=000 0 0 to fstab. I'm not sure if anything in that line would have anything to do with showing or hiding system files would it?

No, I didn't configure it to show or hide them. I'm not sure how I would. I just followed the tutorial to add /dev/hdb7 /home/Jon/osfileshare umask=000 0 0 to fstab. I'm not sure if anything in that line would have anything to do with showing or hiding system files would it?

I meant in the windows explorer, there is a setting called that...