Printer problem

phunni

My printer has stopped working - I came home from work one day to find out a piece of paper half way out of my printer with half a page printed on it. I asked my wife about it and she said that she didn't know what caused it - apparently she would print something and then a while later the printer would "randomly" print something else.

My setup is that I have a Pentium machine with 32MB RAM acting as a server to the LAN - it provides internet access and it shares the printer. It is running Mandrake 9.0

When I go into printerdrake on that computer and try to configure it - the following two odd things happen:

1) it identifies the printer as an HP - it is an Epson Stylus Color 400

2)When I tell it that it's identification of the printer is wrong - i get the following message appear every few seconds:

lpstat: Unable to connect to server: Connection refused

Any ideas as to what could have caused this? The printer has never been absolutely trouble free - but this is the first time it's refused to work.

I have tried printing directly from the server machine and nothing happens - although CUPS thinks there is a print job.

First check the obvious things, loose cables etc.....

If that fails, delete all your printer settings, and reboot. Check that they are definitely gone, and try to re-enter them. If that fails, try setting up the printer using the KDE control centre instead of PrintDrake.

It might also be worth checking the printer on a different machine. Hardware failure is less likely but still a possibility.

• 2 weeks later...

This is almost definately NOT a hardware problem - I jsut bought a new printer (my boss was paying so I figured I might as well :wink: ) and I get exactly the same problem. Is this "lpstat: Unable to connect to server: Connection refused" likely to be the cause? What would cause that? It would be a real help to me if I could figure out why I can't print anything.

I have just spotted another error:

lpadmin: Unable to connect to server: Connection refused

Could not set up/change the queue "Printer"!

foomatic-configure failed at /usr/lib/libDrakX/printer.pm line 1495.

That line reads:

@{$printer->{currentqueue}{options}}

Does this shed any light?

Making progress - the server can now print to the printer - but none of the other machines seems to be able to.

They can all "see" the printer over the network and even install it - but all prints simply fail.

Anyone help? It's no good having the server able to print if it can't share the printer!

Edit: There is a firewall running on the server - but I have checked that this isn't the issue by switching it off and testing to see if I could print - I still could not :cry:

I guess I could give a few more details about my setup

Printer: HP DesktJet 5550 - connected via a parralel cable

Shared via samba to two wndows laptops and one Linux desktop

At least two of the machines (I haven't checked the third) can see the printer and act as if they have it installed - but absolutely nothing get's printed when I try to print from them - the printer doesn't even flinch!

OK - I've moved the printer to my main desktop since my server simply wouldn't print anything sent to it from over a network - CUPS wasn't even registering new jobs. I wondered if it was to do with the computer.

Still can't print from over the network - so I tried to browse to localhost:601, and was informed by my browser that this port was disabled for security reasons.

1) How do I re-enable this port?

2) Could this be why I can't print over a network - port 601 is for CUPS right?