NVIDIA driver

G_Rammstein

I just installed mandriva from the four cd's. I'm a current suse user and i have a lot of a dificulty installing the nv driver. I downloaded the .run package and when i login as root in a console,,run the installer i get this:Kernel sources not installed. Aren't they on the medium??

I couldn't fuind them. Please help.

I just installed mandriva from the four cd's. I'm a current suse user and i have a lot of a dificulty installing the nv driver. I downloaded the .run package and when i login as root in a console,,run the installer i get this:Kernel sources not installed. Aren't they on the medium??

I couldn't fuind them. Please help.

Hey George, I had this problem. Here's what I did.

goto console and type 'uname -r'

This will give you the kernel you have running.

Thus now you know which source to get.

If you haven't got URPMI setup, follow the directions here - EASY-URPMI

Once you have the URPMI setup, pull down your source, it can be stripped too I think. But I always get the big one incase.

Then do the init 3 thing with the sh .NV

And Voila!.

Hope this is of some help.

Im still fairly noob

:D that helped in deed. I just found the kernel and i'm downloadin. I'm gonna take a look at urpmi after nvidia install. Not true, that rpm package only ocupies about 18mb, so it wouldn't take much space. Suse is including the kernel sources and is much easier to use. Anyway, i see that mandriva is quite fast and performant. :D

it can be stripped too I think. But I always get the big one incase

Yes, stripped works fine. I use nvidia too, and will save on a huge 40MB download with stripped. Of course, my internet connection is slow, that's why the stripped is good for me :P

I always used to get the normal one as well, but started trying the stripped recently.

The nv driver is basic, but works for all cards. You'll have limited functionality with it. I used the nvidia driver for my Geforce4 TI 4400 and it works a charm.

I don't know what card you've got, and if it's supported by nvidia's driver or not. As I use "nvidia" on my TI 4400, whereas default before it was the "nv" one that comes default with Mandriva.

And as far as I know, the source is on the CD's, you just need to install it during install, or afterwards with urpmi.

I have always found it best to use the linux driver from the Nvidia site.

My Geforce 440mx works fine with it. No Gl probs at all either.

I can also hook it to my TV. The Nvidia drivers have nice tweaking tools to get the picture to fill the TV nicely.

Now I just need to get my CS running in lin instead of win.

Hey George you should get mandriva 2007 and slap on the 3d desktop.

It's a gem.

heard about that 3d desktop, but i can't use any of glx or aiglx. they are greyed out. Someone sayd to install the drivers provided at the urmpi mirrors. Thos dkms-nvidia8774plf, but i couldn't. I installed dkms, and when i try to install dkms-nvidia it says unsatisfied dependency==nv8774 and when i try to install nvidia8774plf it says unsatisfied dkms-nvidia.dono what to do. I also tryed the beta drivers, but when i install them, kde just goes into a blank screen, and when i tryed to runa drak3 it says to activate aiglx, i select it, hit ok, loggout, but when i logg in again, the same screen with 3d config comes on again.i also tried selectin glx but still the same thing happened. :mellow: