MDV2007 user login account [solved]

Lando

I had problems with my user name so I've deleted the user login account using the command "userdel -r myname"...

Then I've tried the "adduser myname" (so I'll have a cleaner user situation)...and I get "the user already exist...."

I've read that after a userdel I've to delete this user name in some hidden places...Is there a guide to search these places ?

Thanks a lot.

The first thing is do you weant to delete the home dir?

(you don't have to and you can even just rename it and then copy stuff later...)

yes, userdel -r usrname ....delete it.

/etc/passwd and /etc/group and /etc/shadow are the likely places

Just remove that user name ...

then recreate....

the usrname is already missing in these files....

I don't know of any "hidden" places. I'd say post the contents of /etc/passwd and /etc/group but that means we'd know all the users on your system.

I'd suggest doing:

userdel username

again. It should definitely not exist, and you can then just run useradd again after this. I don't know why you seem to have a problem if it doesn't exist in /etc/passwd. But re-run it again to make sure.

Hmm... just out of curiosity: Why haven't you used the MCC for adding/removing users?

Well I'm presuming his user was screwed up and wouldn't log into X but its a bit academic really since useradd and userdel are the correct way to add/remove users... but also how would he do this? Log in as root or log in as the user he was trying to delete?

However userdel shouldn't delete the home directory or mail spool entries without the -r option being specified ....

However if it was then presumably it has left the spool dir ? or perhaps some zombie processes are syill running?

This can happen with the -f option (which also deletes home and spool BUT will do so wether the user is logged in or not...)

anyway. run a ps -ef and look for processes with a UID instead of a user name....(probably 500)

Edited by Gowator

Well I'm presuming his user was screwed up and wouldn't log into X but its a bit academic really since useradd and userdel are the correct way to add/remove users... but also how would he do this? Log in as root or log in as the user he was trying to delete?
In case he has only one user, then: press ctrl+alt+F1, log in as root, type "mcc" and use the interface. When everything's finished, press ctrl+alt+F7. Quite easy, eh? ;)