Can't See HDD

michaelc

On top of this you would need to change the entries in GRUB or LILO ...(basically telling it that the root is /dev/hdb1)

You will have to change your entry in /etc/fstab on the new partition to correpond to your new root partition, /dev/hdb1, as well.

True .... but on second thoughts perhaps easiest is install this a is and make partitions, then copy allthose partitions over while hdb1 ...

Then swap the disks over so hdb becomes hda having already added the second option to the boot loader but at this point it won't work because its still hdb1 and will install onto the wrong MBR....

An easy and quick fix is boot up in rescue mode from the install CD with the disks in the final position (the one you want top be primary as primary) then just mount the hda1 parition and chroot and run lilo/grub

With grub it won't matter, you should be able to just edit the file before switching the disks, and then it'd be OK. You'd see in grub things like:

root (hd1,0)

for example. The hd1 means hdb, if it said hd0 then it would be hda. The second number is the partition on the disk, eg:

hda1 = hd(0,0)
hda2 = hd(0,1)

and so on for the partitions on the disk.

With grub it won't matter, you should be able to just edit the file before switching the disks, and then it'd be OK. You'd see in grub things like:

root (hd1,0)

for example. The hd1 means hdb, if it said hd0 then it would be hda. The second number is the partition on the disk, eg:

hda1 = hd(0,0)
hda2 = hd(0,1)

and so on for the partitions on the disk.

ianw...

I haven't tried nor am I an expert with GRUB but logic tells me not since grub still needs to be chaned from the MBR and the MBR on the second disk won't have an MBR to chain load it?

I know its different to lilo in that you don't need to rewite the MBR each time you change grub but it must still need some bootloader stub to initiate?

I think you can pre-do this in grub and write the boot loader part while it is still hdb (unlike with lilo) but like I say Im no grub expert.