scd1 does not excist

hea

Hi

I have just added a cdrom to my system at hdb (slave at primary ide). I have in advance a hard drive at hda (master) and CDRW at hdc (master)

lilo.conf has been edited:

append="devfs=mount hdb=ide-scsi hdc=ide-scsi quiet"

and /etc/fstab looks like this:

/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hda7 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom iso9660 user,noauto,ro 0 0

/dev/scd1 /mnt/cdrom2 iso9660 user,noauto,ro 0 0

/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,unhide,noauto,nosuid,umask=0,user,nodev 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda6 /usr ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

What happens is: cd-player is detected at boot, i can play audio cd in it, but when trying to mount;

mount /mnt/cdrom2

i get this message: mount: special device /dev/scd1 does not exist

Well thats correct, it doesent. Should i create it?

Btw. mount /mnt/cdrom works fine for the CDRW at hdc.

Can anyone see somthing wrong here?

Is your new device IDE or SCSI? If its IDE then you don't need to treat it as scsi. Only if it is an IDE CD-RW or DVD-RW do you need to switch on scsi emulation. I would guess the line in fstab should look something like this:

/dev/cdrom2 /mnt/cdrom2 iso9660 user,noauto,ro 0 0

or

/dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom2 iso9660 user,noauto,ro 0 0

Also make sure that /mnt/cdrom2 does actually exsists. You have to create it manually, it won't be created automatically.

It works now, with scsi-emulation the way i intended it to. Well i finally opened my box to see where i actually connected the cdrom, and... ehremm it was at the secondary ide, not the primary as i remembered. :oops: maybe i should change my nick?

Thanks anyway mtweidmann, but i do think i have read somewhere on this forum that e.g. k3b requires scsi-emulation to work right. Yes, found the thread:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...csi+cdrom+fstab[/url]

Is your new device IDE or SCSI? If its IDE then you don't need to treat it as scsi. Only if it is an IDE CD-RW or DVD-RW do you need to switch on scsi emulation. I would guess the line in fstab should look something like this:  

/dev/cdrom2 /mnt/cdrom2 iso9660 user,noauto,ro 0 0

That may not help since /dev/cdrom has to point to a device, just like /dev/scd1. But u are right about the cd-rom drive as the cd-rom drive does not need scsi emulation but it is also true that till mandrake-9.0, cdrecord (used by all cd-burning software on linux) detects only scsi and scsi-emulated devices.

Also the lilo entry shows that devfsd is being started so there is no reason why /dev/scd1 should not be created at boot. I hope after editing lilo.conf, the user did not forget to run lilo as lilo -v.

Guest joehill
It works now, with scsi-emulation the way i intended it to. Well i finally opened my box to see where i actually connected the cdrom, and... ehremm it was at the secondary ide, not the primary as i remembered.  :oops:  maybe i should change my nick?  

Thanks anyway mtweidmann, but i do think i have read somewhere on this forum that e.g. k3b requires scsi-emulation to work right. Yes, found the thread:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...csi+cdrom+fstab[/url]

What's so great about K3B anyway? GCombust works like a charm with no tinkering, and if you can figure out how to burn in Windows, GCombust is not any harder.

Is k3b the only recording software that requires scsi emulation for cdreader?

Anyway k3b was not able to mount the cd at all. I ran the setup as root and disabled the 'write to fstab' part as i have been adviced. I guess theres something i have to edit in fstab. Ill look in to it later, but i will try out gcombust.