New here. A couple of general questions.

Guest sancho

Hi everyone,

I've had Mandriva 2006 at home for some time but statred exploring it yesterday only to realise that I should have done so much earlier. I am using Adobe InDesign CS2 and Maya 7 quite often and I am wondering they are compatible with Mandriva. I've read some things about Maya on Linux but the Mandriva distribution was not mentioned there- I think it was Redhat, SuSe and Fedora. And some other stuff about Adobe products also being reprogrammed to run on Linux- is this so? Is there a way to use InDesing and Maya on Mandriva?

Thanks for your time.

Greetings,

Valentin

According to Adobe's Indesign page, it's only available for Windows and Mac. Which means you might be able to get it to work with some kind of emulation layer but it wouldn't be easy or nice. And it's $700 which is pretty steep!!

The system requirements for Maya 8 explicitly mention 32-bit and 64-bit linux systems (as well as Windows and Mac) so looks a lot more likely to work. If you've got the $2000 to spare of course! Or you would be well-advised to have a look at Blender as well, which is free.

Thanx, neddie and emmanuel. I will have to stick with Windows for the InDesign thing and will most probably consider the Blender option and find a better way of speding the 2000.

I suggest you take a look at scribus. It is very different to InDesign and Quark, but works well for many publishing tasks.

Yep its basic BUT its professional......

What I mean by that is its almost the opposite of GIMP in design terms....

If you compare GIMP to photoshop you simply can't compare from a professional POV because GIMP only handles 16bit colors ... whatever you do with it it can never produce professional pre-press output even though its got loads of nifty features etc. Its just a function of how GIMP developed over time, nothing wrong with GIMP but it can never handle pro color palettes etc ..

(Incidentally cinepaint is a fork of GIMP which was rebuit to handle 16 bit color but still lacks the advanced functionality of GIMP)

Scribus on the otherhand starts off with professional features...but the interface itself is a bit basic (you end up typing in numbers etc.) and it really only works efficiently if you already have your text and graphics. BUT it produces pro quality stuff, just a bit quirkily but the interface is really coming on and its getting even better. The fact it is on a "solid base" means it really can compete with the professional SW...

If you understand the DTP workflow then Scribus is really an excellent package...