multiple disks mounted on /home

marafa

you can mount any partition anywhere you want .. just be sure that you backup files from that directory first

if you want to mount a partition to /home

then

cp -R /home/* /some/other/location

mount /dev/hdX /home

done !!!

example: here are my mount points

paul@trinity paul $ mount

/dev/hda5 on / type reiserfs (rw,noatime)

proc on /proc type proc (rw)

none on /dev type devfs (rw)

/dev/hda6 on /var/log type reiserfs (rw,noatime)

/dev/hda7 on /tmp type reiserfs (rw,noatime)

/dev/hdb1 on /home type reiserfs (rw,noatime)

paul@trinity paul $

notice I have hdb1 (a second hard drive) mounted to /home

hda1 is /boot (which isn't mounted unless I update my kernel) hda2 is SWAP and hda5,6,and 7 are Extended partitions inside hda3

cool ?[/code]

Users' home directories don't have to be placed in /home, thats just the default. You could setup your system to have /home & /home2 and have some users' accounts in one, and the rest in the other. Or have /home/a-m/ & /home/n-z/ and have the user accounts within them.

For instance at uni, our home directories are split across months. That makes me /home/el/june/elmtw, and my house mate would be /home/el/oct/elmsb.

The only way I know of to make the actual /home directory bigger would be RAID. That is where multiple hds appear to the OS to be one single drive. A RAID strip (using two HDs) would give you better performance, and would also appear to be the size of both drives added together. It would require either a software or hardware RAID system, and two identical drives.

.......and the /home partition is full and i want to increase it ..  

which is why my /home is on a different drive :-)

new harddrive with more space will fix it for me :-)

also ... if I need to take *bulk data* (more than a couple of cd's) anywhere ... I can take out my /home drive and mount it on somebody elses computer :#: cool !!!

this discussion is getting interesting to me and hope u all dont mind if i try to imagine a real world examples here

scenario 1: assume u have a mdk 9.0 install on a 40gb hard disk and it doesnt matter what sizes the partitions are coz i am assuming the final solution is to add a second hard disk.

assume also that u can NOT split up the users (symlinks or nfs shortcuts or whatever) AND the users are pretty much static (user1, user2, dept_manager1, ceo, etc)

scenario2: assume everythign is full and there is only 1 user and i want to add more space to see under /home and only /home (i am thinking symlinks here - no reason why)

so what kind of solutions would be used?

thanks