Nvidia 8774 , kernel 2.6.17, xgl [solved]

oshunluvr

OK, I had been using "tyr" for awhile. Decided to upgrade to RC1 today. Did an "upgrade" install from cd's. Now I can't log in to x.

First I thought it was kdm, but the only kdm error logging is "can't find user faces" (or something like that). kdm inital menu loads, but when I try to log in, it just returns to the log in screen in a minute or so.

Then I decided it was x:

I have done the following: Installed and then removed dkms-nvidia ( I read somewhere that 2.6.17 doesn't work with the dkms package yet).

Installed kernel-source and then the nvidia-8774 drivers from their website. Got errors related to "need Xorg SDK/Development package", but install completed. I can't find a package named xorg-sdk anything. After fiddling around with directory pointers I got x to load without errors (including glx). Logged in as root from tty using "startx" once, then tried to start "dm" and had same results as above. Now no more logging in - just waits for a minute or two then returns to kdm log in screen.

Currently, I'm of the opinion that the upgrade install may be part of the problem. I am thinking I may just wipe and install clean. All this is happening on a different drive partition from my main one so it's not a big deal. I had only been using tyr for a week or so.

Anyone have any insight as to the issue here? The reinstall may take less time than any more research!

Update:

So I wiped and fresh installed 2007.0 RC1. I d/l'd and installed 8774 nvidia drivers from nvidia. Got same errors as before re: Xorg SDK/Development (still don't know what the hell that is)., but appeared to work. Logged in fine, but 3D not installed. Configured xorg (twinview). Noticed that .../libglx.so entry isn't there and "Option "glx"" is. (opposite in 2006). If I change it back - no log in. So that was the problem before - new drivers old conf.

BUT - I installed 3ddesktop and mesa and dependencies. Then enabled 3d effects. Logged out, logged back in - no 3d effects, whacked screen resolution (large fonts and pixelated wiindows). Logged back out and then couldn't log in. Removed mesa and 3d packages and I was back in business but no 3d. nvidia-settings says I have glx. glxgears is not found.

remember : all this worked fine on the beta 3 release "tyr"

Best I can tell at this point the nvidia driver and the 2.6.17-4mdv kernel don't like each other.

OK, I had been using "tyr" for awhile. Did an "upgrade" install from cd's. Now I can't log in to x.

When I try to log in, it just returns to the log in screen in a minute or so.

I have done the following: Installed and then removed dkms-nvidia ( I read somewhere that 2.6.17 doesn't work with the dkms package yet).

Installed kernel-source and then the nvidia-8774 drivers from their website. Got errors related to "need Xorg SDK/Development package", but install completed. I can't find a package named xorg-sdk anything. After fiddling around with directory pointers I got x to load without errors (including glx). Logged in as root from tty using "startx" once, then tried to start "dm" and had same results as above. Now no more logging in - just waits for a minute or two then returns to kdm log in screen.

So I wiped and fresh installed 2007.0 RC1. I d/l'd and installed 8774 nvidia drivers from nvidia. Got same errors as before re: Xorg SDK/Development (still don't know what the hell that is)., but appeared to work. Logged in fine, but 3D not installed. Configured xorg (twinview). Noticed that .../libglx.so entry isn't there and "Option "glx"" is. (opposite in 2006). If I change it back - no log in. So maybe that was the problem before - new drivers old conf.

BUT - I installed 3ddesktop and mesa and dependencies. Then enabled 3d effects. Logged out, logged back in - no 3d effects, whacked screen resolution (large fonts and pixelated wiindows). Logged back out and then couldn't log in. Removed mesa and 3d packages and I was back in business but no 3d. nvidia-settings says I have glx. glxgears is not found.

remember : all this worked fine on the beta 3 release "tyr"

Best I can tell at this point the nvidia driver and the 2.6.17-4mdv kernel don't like each other.

Anyone getting 3ddesktop working with this kernel and drivers or the dkms/plf drivers?

From what I know it's not a good idea to use the official nvidia installer because it's messing with mesa which is neede by XGL. Use plf instead.

Maybe, but I have read (and experienced) the dkms driver isn't compatable with the 2.6.17 kernel. Maybe it wasn't the driver and it was the xorg file.

Anyone else having these troubles?

BTW, even though I'm logging in now (with no 3ddesktop), I still get the can't Find faces error. Time to dig into kdmrc

Ok, someone suggested the nvidia brand drivers don't work with 3ddesktop. So I wiped again and did a full install from "sunna" RC2 cd's. This set uses kernel 2.6.17-5mdv .Then I did urpmi.addmedia and installed the dkms-nvidia drivers from the plf source. I also figured out while playing around with the previous install that the "Configure 3ddesktop" function in the "Configure your Computer" program doesn't appear to install all the needed componants. So I did a urpmi install of compiz, mesa-demos, 3ddesktop, and task-3ddestop and VOILA! I have 3ddesktop again.

Also at 100x100dpi I'm getting 13000fps plus from glxgears.

Now on to font improvements...

I'm still unable to get 3D acceleration for my GeForce fx 5200. I did a clean install using the Sunna DVD, I can see the nvidia splashscreen, but no 3D.

It would be a shame if we had to wait several months for a new driver. On the club, they're discouraging use of the nvidia proprietary driver, saying it conflicts with mesa.

Some good news. With the clean install, I now have good printer functionality for my hpdeskjet952c, and a mouse problem is now cleared up. This 3D thing with nvidia cards is a real pita though.

Anybody got any ideas? Dkms-nvidia from plf isn't working for me.

Edited by agendelman

I'm still unable to get 3D acceleration for my GeForce fx 5200. I did a clean install using the Sunna DVD, I can see the nvidia splashscreen, but no 3D.

It would be a shame if we had to wait several months for a new driver. On the club, they're discouraging use of the nvidia proprietary driver, saying it conflicts with mesa.

Some good news. With the clean install, I now have good printer functionality for my hpdeskjet952c, and a mouse problem is now cleared up. This 3D thing with nvidia cards is a real pita though.

Anybody got any ideas? Dkms-nvidia from plf isn't working for me.

post your /log/var/Xorg.0.log and /etc/X11/xorg.conf files