Mandriva reboots after new ATI card installed

mightymulatto

Hey guys! I'm calling on your vast knowledge again for help. Forgive me for not having specifics. I recently upgraded my Old ATI video card for a new one. The old one was an AGP interface and my new one is PCI.

The system will produce basic video during post, go to the boot loader and began to load mandriva. The system then reboots and never makes it to KDE.

I've read several posts already and none seem to mention this particular symptom. The card is an ATI 9000 series. I can get specific later if required. Any thoughts?

There are several courses of action that is suggested in similar forums. Should I reinstall my old video card to get drivers and then reinstall the new card?

Edited by mightymulatto

You should just be able to choose "failsafe" from the list of options on the lilo boot menu. Then, when booted login where necessary as root, and then edit /etc/inittab. Change this line:

id:5:initdefault:

to:

id:3:initdefault:

the key thing being changing the "5" to "3". Then reboot. Now, your system will start, but without X loaded.

Now, login to the system again, as root and then go into mcc by typing:

mcc

and then choose the display option and configure your new video card. Then once done, log out, and login as your normal user. At the prompt, then type:

startx

to see if X starts working again. If it does, press CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE to shut it down, and then edit the file again changing the "3" to a "5" and you should be back in business.

edit the file /etc/inittab

Got you. So far I did use the mcc. It appears to be a rehash of what the installer went through when i first installed mandriva. BTW the card is a Radeon 9200.

I totally did a number on my system causing it not to boot. Anyways I am reinstalling the os again.

It's kinda funny that i'm using this card to do that install. LOL!.

Anyways to be certain i need to edit inittab. The same modifications suggested earlier? 3 to 5?

I did stumble upon emacs text editor. Is it ok to use that one?

I've made it to the configuration in the mcc. There are 2 kinds Radeon fylrx and fbdev. I'm unsure of which to choose.

I went through trial and error. After choosing one the system does detect the card down to the very model. And then givesme various options about "Multiple head configuration."

I can use Xinerama extension, configure only card "", independently and configure only card "ATI Radeon 9200 5961 (AGP) (PCI:1:10:0)

Does any of this mean that there is another problem?