Thunderbird mail [solved]

neddie

I'm using Thunderbird as a mail client, and have two accounts set up - everything works fine and it receives mail from both servers, keeping them in separate Inboxes. However, there seems to be only one place to set the outgoing mail server, so when I reply to mail coming to the second account, it sends the reply via the mail server for the first account.

Now I guess this doesn't really matter, but it's annoying for a couple of reasons - firstly the mail headers then say that it came from mail server 1, which you might not want the receiver to know, and secondly there might be an increased risk that the mail is treated as spam, because it comes through a different server than where it says it came from.

So I've got two questions - is there any way to persuade Thunderbird to use two different mail servers for outgoing mail (or is there a similar alternative which can do that), and secondly why does it even allow me to send mail from the second identity through the first identity's mail server?

Edited by neddie

You should be able to add more outgoing mail servers by going into Tools->Account Settings and at the very bottom on the left you should see Outgoing Server (SMTP) - here you can add another SMTP server, and then go back to your second account and change the smtp server it uses.

why does it even allow me to send mail from the second identity through the first identity's mail server?

The real question is why does your first identity's STMP let you do this ;) - it's not the job of the mail client to worry about the servers security.

The real question is why does your first identity's STMP let you do this ;)

Yeah, that's what I meant ;) sorry, badly worded.

In my 'account settings' I have one tree for account 1, with "Server Settings", one tree for account 2, with different "Server Settings", and then a separate setting for "Outgoing SMTP server" which says "only one outgoing server (SMTP) needs to be specified, even if you have several mail accounts", and only one space for server info...:unsure:

what version of thunderbird?

if it's 1.5 you should be able to do it as i mentioned, if it's 1.0.x there should be an "advanced" button, you can add more through there.

if it's prior to 1.0.x - upgrade :P

I concur it is perfectly posible to have multiple sending accounts that you have access to. I have three and can send via all three.

All three accounts that I have require a logon before being allowed to relay through that server that's why I have underlined that bit. But of course you already new that. ;)

Keep trying it will happen. Just follow the instructions given above. :thumbs:

why does it even allow me to send mail from the second identity through the first identity's mail server?

The real question is why does your first identity's STMP let you do this ;) - it's not the job of the mail client to worry about the servers security.

I don't know what/who exactly your servers are, but as I see it, such a "feature" is normal.

I have all my mail managed by local servers (Fetchmail, Postfix, BincIMAP). When I send mail with Thunderbird/Evolution/whatever..., mail gets sent to 127.0.0.1, and I expect the mail to be sent whatever the account is (I have a lot). In Postfix' config, there's only one SMTP relay listed (and needed): that of my ISP! And all is OK as long as the sender email's domain exists; this works probably because they know who I am (they gave me my IP address).

I would bug my ISP to no end if they were to keep mail from depart whenever the sender email's domain is not theirs.

Yves.

I don't know what/who exactly your servers are, but as I see it, such a "feature" is normal.
No, actually it's not. Relaying of e-mails is always suggested to be turned off. It makes spoofing e-mails even easier than normal.

I have all my mail managed by local servers (Fetchmail, Postfix, BincIMAP). When I send mail with Thunderbird/Evolution/whatever..., mail gets sent to 127.0.0.1, and I expect the mail to be sent whatever the account is (I have a lot). In Postfix' config, there's only one SMTP relay listed (and needed): that of my ISP! And all is OK as long as the sender email's domain exists; this works probably because they know who I am (they gave me my IP address).
In this set up, your ISP's SMTP server is never used. You're sending the mail yourself, from your own server, your ISP never has the chance to reject it.

Thanks guys, that fixed it. There was indeed an "advanced" section to the outgoing server settings, which let me add a second server, and there was indeed an "advanced" section to the account settings, which let me specify the outgoing server for the second account.

Thanks! :thumbs: