Installing Dual Boot - No Floppy

Technonoid

I may have jumped the gun to soon, don't know we'll see....

I just built a new system thats floppyless. I hope to keep it that way if possible. What I'm planning on doing is installing the ML using XP as boot manager, cause thats the only way I found that you could that before. I had a floppy then, used it to boot linux the first time after install, then setup for boot from XP. Hmmm, just thinking as I type this, is it possible to boot from install cd, then boot on into the installed linux? If so I know what to do if I can boot my installed linux.

So my question is, can I boot into a new install of linux without using a floppy or HD mbr ?

To directly answer your question, yes you boot from the install CD. When the first screen comes up hit <F1> instead of <Enter>. This will give you several options, which should include booting your installed copy of Mandrake. I think it may be under rescue, haven't done it in a while so can't remember exactly.

Are you sure Lilo can't boot WinXP? I have always found the best method to be to install Windows first then Linux, and use Lilo as the boot loader. But I use 2K not XP.

I dual boot with XP and lilo works like a charms…

Technonoid, boot from cd1 and do like mtweidmann told you. Once booted in your linux installation, open a console and su to root (type 'su' and enter your root password). Now type 'lilo -v' and reboot. If you get the lilo bootscreen asking you which os to boot then you are all set. Otherwise reboot with cd1 and post the ouput of 'lilo -v' here as well as what is in /etc/lilo.conf. We will help you to make a dual boot system.

Ciow

MOttS

That depends on what distro you use. hehe. Kids don't try yoper on dual boot. It was no problem to recover, but, yoper doesn't give any choices about anything during install. Except which HD to install on. I have removed yoper, rather have ML.

To most, having lilo on MBR is easier. However, I'm not most. I prefer to have lilo on the booting partition of linux. I have done it many times before and had no problems. In fact, if you keep the proper files backed up its easier to play around with many different distros and Tri boot, which I do a lot.

Guess I've been lucky, I've never used F1 during CD boot on ML. Thats the info I was needing. Thanks mtweidmann

Thanks Motts I was just needing to know how to boot into a linux install on a seperate partition without a floppy drive. I Tri and Quad boot anyway... 8)