AMD Turion 64 - Which Mandriva CD to use? [solved]

cwchia

I just bought a new Acer Aspire 5044 laptop without Windoze preinstalled (YEAH!!!! :lol2: ) and managed to installed MDV 2006.0 into it after the usual

linux noapic nolacpi

and a little tweaking during in stallation to get MDV recognises the 1280 x 800 LCD. Not so much of a problem. Most of the hardware (well, as usual, one would expect problem for the stupid winmoden and the special keys that only works under Windoze box).

I have a MDV 2006.0 DVD which I use to install my other PCs and laptop, all of those are Intel based 32 bit processor.

This new lappy is the first 64 bits processor that I got.

My question is shall I try to use the x86-64 CDsDVD instead of the x86-32 CDs/DVD on this new lappy?

TIA

I remember a few posts here about 64 bit, and some were running the 32 bit version because they had problems trying to get certain things to work on the 64 bit version of the operating system.

Since it's new, you may as well experiment and try the 64 bit version. If you don't get anywhere with it, you can just stick with the 32 bit version after that. That's what I would do at least. You'll never know until you give it a shot :P

For making the special "windows" keys operable, you may wish to toy a bit:

http://www2.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~tauber/acerhk/

It works fine on some Acer laptops (including my older Travelmate 291 LMi), on some others it works only partially, while on a few not at all... bah.

64-bit OS sounds fine, but some things aren't expected to work smoothly, if at all. Macromedia/Adobe Flash is one of them.

• 2 weeks later...
Make sure you installed the 64 bit version before using the 64 bit repositories. They won't work too well if you have the 32 bit version of Mandriva installed.

Thanks for the pointer. I got error message saying that the rpm is not valid for my machine or something like that while trying to install 64bits rpm into a 32 bit rpm based machine :woops:

Now busy trying out the 2007 beta 3 that I just downloaded :P

Edited by cwchia

• 8 months later...