Desktop Linux Survey

pmpatrick

Well, I read posts in several forums where people launched campaigns for increasing the Ubuntu page hit at distrowatch. Mepis users also did this once, with bad results. They got harsh replies from other Linux users. Childish behaviour if you ask me...

Ubuntu is surely a popular distro, but I think it ain't yet the most widely used distro (I guess this "merit" still belongs to Debian and Fedora/Red Hat). In three years, things might be different of course.

Hehehe, alot jealousy I see ;)

First they say it will pass, next thing the accusing. Wonder what's next? People should just be happy with their distro and be happy for other distros as well.

All the linux forums I've checked have a link to that page so......

But the one at ubuntuforums people didn't get a nice welcome as people know the side effect. Only 3-4 people replied the thread before it drowned. So there's no campaign on the Ubuntuforums.

Oh...on topic: Voted :)

A good idea will be before spreading FUD, ask me. I know what's happening in Ubuntu community. (meant in a kind way) :)

Edited by Artificial Intelligence

Hehehe, alot jealousy I see ;)

First they say it will pass, next thing the accusing. Wonder what's next? People should just be happy with their distro and be happy for other distros as well.

All the linux forums I've checked have a link to that page so......

But the one at ubuntuforums people didn't get a nice welcome as people know the side effect. Only 3-4 people replied the thread before it drowned. So there's no campaign on the Ubuntuforums.

Oh...on topic: Voted :)

Not sure its a campaign as such....I'm more along the lines of

but they are renowned for their clickety-clicking from what I heard. Could be wrong though wink.gif

Can't see the results without redoing the poll? but for instance i know there are lots of Debian users but they just don't do stuff like that usually. Heck, they can't even decide to have a official forum.

In the end a lot of people who like Ubuntu do so because it is popular so its self feeding in a way.. (no criticism just observation) whereas some people like gentooers or archers tend towrds the opposite....or pure technical reasons.

Red Hat and SuSe are used widely in the enterprise space, but I would argue that they aren't as widely used by home users... or on desktops in general, so Ubuntu's stats might not be that inaccurate.

I've heard Ubuntu getting a lot of press lately with version 6 being super-stable and easy to install. It really is very popular, polls aside.

Ubuntu always gets a lot of press. They are very well funded and have an excellent PR department. Most distros don't have that kind of financial backing or PR expertise. I just don't see ubuntu doing anything all that interesting technically that isn't being done in many other distros as well or better. It's a nice distro if you like gnome but nothing special.

What surprised me is how far mandriva has fallen in these types of polls. They used to be always on top but now they are lucky to be fourth place also rans. It's kind of sad really.

From a business standpoint, the enterprise server market is all that seems to count as that's the only area where businesses seem to be able to make money with linux. Mandriva was never able to break into that market despite years of dominance in these user polls. Perhaps ubuntu will fare better; they certainly seem better managed and much better at marketing. I guess time will tell. I can guarantee you one thing - if ubuntu doesn't eventually make money in the enterprise server market, it too will eventually fade just like mandriva. I don't think Shuttleworth will dump money into this project forever if there proves to be no prospect of making a profit in the enterprise server market.

I've tried Ubuntu a few times but the damn thing would never install....

My brother loves it though. He used it a few times in college...he actually went all-Linux on his laptop for a while...but that pretty much died a few weeks later when he couldn't play WoW ;)

Ubuntu always gets a lot of press. They are very well funded and have an excellent PR department. Most distros don't have that kind of financial backing or PR expertise. I just don't see ubuntu doing anything all that interesting technically that isn't being done in many other distros as well or better. It's a nice distro if you like gnome but nothing special.

What surprised me is how far mandriva has fallen in these types of polls. They used to be always on top but now they are lucky to be fourth place also rans. It's kind of sad really.

I think these are connected and both connected with the clickety-click.

On a simple level..why do so many people use Windows? ... and the main answer is "because everyone else does" combined in many cases with "it came installed".

Humans are pack animals, the primary drive for the majority is "to belong" to an identifyable group.

The group makes a decision and the pack follows.

This is expressed on a grand scale in the idea of "countries" ... When belonging one adopts the value systems of that country ... or it can be a tribe. A large scale example of this can be seen in Rwanda where artificially created "tribes" were formed based on artificial criteria and these tribes were taught as their core value system to hate the other tribe. (which in this case could include brothers and sisters.) You can see the same thing in soccer when an international player is cheered on by the crowd while playing for their team and hurled racist abuse the day later by the same people playing for his country. The same is true of housing ... people move to suburbs because.. well others do whereas elsewhere others are moving to the cities because others are. People move into identical boxes and put up identical white picket fences and join the PTA of the school... because this is what others are doing.

Everyone has different levels of group emotions and awareness. Some people are unable to function individually and must constantly be driven by a group... when they buy a house they look for the same as everyone else ..others throughout history have elected to live outside of this. Society usually abhors them ... unless they keep up a pretense of fitting in.

Ubuntu targets the group mentality for the group ready to break away from the main but not wanting to be individuals. Everything about Ubuntu screams.. "come with me we are already a group you can be a part of".

but at the same time you will be a subgroup.

There are various metrics measuring this group/individual balance.. HR depts use many for recruiting.

I'm fairly certain if you could get enough samples from different distro's you would find a strong correlation on personality types. (no seriously) B)

Evolution has progressively removed individualism to be a regressive trait, we now class extreme individualism as a mental illness but ever since 10 cavemen decided that if they all picked up sticks they could beat individuals to death the genepool of individualism has been reduced.