cdrom not mounting

dh2k

I have taken my HDD that is dual booted with WinXP and Mandriva 2006 out of one machine and placed in into another machine. Everything works except from my cdrom. The device does not mount. When I try to mount it manually using kdf as root/user the application freezes regardless of the different verified cd's in the drive.

I cannot browse the CD contents via "/mnt/cdrom" either.

The device works fine in WinXP so I know it is not faulty. Here is my fstab output:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details

/dev/hda2 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0022,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,codepage=850 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat umask=0022,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda3 swap swap defaults 0 0

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto pamconsole,exec,noauto,utf8,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-15,managed 0 0

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The cdrom device is detected in Mandriva Control Centre (MCC) Hardware section on "/dev/hdc"

Anyone know why I cannot mount my CD drive?

Is HAL daemon running?

Is user "dh2k" (or whatever name you use) added in the "cdrom" group?

Which is your system locale?

Also, I think you shouldn't be using both "utf8" and "codepage=850" (for ISO9660) or "utf8" and "iocharset=iso8859-15" (for UDF) as arguments, as they pass different instructions for converting filenames.

Try at first keeping just the "utf8" argument (if you are using unicode enabled locale, that is), and removing the other two.

Edited by scarecrow

Here's my default cdrom entry. Suggest making yours exactly like this, and then go from there:

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

I agree with Ian on this one.

I have always used that same setting line and have NEVER ever had drive troubles. Whenever this line was even slightly different I always had troubles. Sorry Scarecrow.

Cheers. John.

Sorry for what?

You are not using BOTH "utf8" and "codepage foo" if you follow the above arguments! :D

Either "codepage"+"iocharset" or "utf8" has to go- it's that simple.

He can remove "utf8" of course, and have something like ian's fstab entry, but if the system locale is something like en-US.UTF8 then it's much simpler to use just "utf8" for both udf and iso9660 filename conversion.

My fstab entry is much simpler:

/dev/dvd /mnt/dvd auto ro,user,noauto,unhide 0 0

And it's almost useless for kernel 2.6.14.X or newer: The only application that I use regularly and needs that entry is wine! :D

All other applications can do perfectly well with hal/pmount and no fstab entry for cd-rom.

Edited by scarecrow

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto pamconsole,exec,noauto,utf8,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-15,managed 0 0

This option is added automatic from system if this device detected. Look mayebe Konqueror mounted media in

system:/media/hdc ?

When I try to mount it manually using kdf??? Donot this way (k disk free)

Charset - You can use multicharset ISO88xxx,UTF8,...... ....Lex

Edited by Lexicon

It's normal for /media *not* to exist on your system. Mandriva does it's mounts under /mnt. Unless you install autofs, then *maybe* it will use /media if you tell it to.

Check out /var/log/messages see if it lists anything about the mounting problem, and post here so we can see it.

Note the attached image (cdrom_mounting1.png) is an output from KDE when I insert a verified CD(s) and try to browse the contents in konqueror - this appears after KDE trys to mount the device for c.2mins.

Also attached are the contents of '/var/log/messages' (message_output.txt). Note that this output is the same when using different CD's.

Thanks in Advance.

dh2k

post-14807-1156317607_thumb.jpg

message_output.txt

@ianw1974 I checked. In KDE after default instalation CD mounting in /media directory. Maybe I heve diferent Mandriva 2006?. Obviously it's not this directory. Another information find in /etc/dynamic directory ....Lex

Once having cdrom problems I discovered quite a "multitude" of cdrom entries in /dev. In particular, there was a directory called cdroms with different entries plus the "normal" devs and symbolic links. I had to clean things up before being able to go on normally.

Maybe this was due to an update, or because KDE / GNOME or different apps handle cdroms differently?!? (Can't check this anymore now.) Did you ever use autofs/supermount in conjunction?

If you should find a similar situation, please post all relevant entries in /dev here (before possibly damaging your system).

HTH,

scoonma

Hi Scoonma - The '/dev' folder in my file system has this relevant info:

Folder: '/dev/'

Contains 2 links:

cdrom [symbolic link to '/dev/hdc']

cdrom0 [symbolic link to '/dev/hdc']

Folder: '/dev/cdroms/'

Contains 1 link: cdrom0 [symbolic link to '/dev/hdc']

I will remove one or the other in '/dev/' and update this post.

------------------------------------------------------------

OK - did above and still same problem.

:wall:

Edited by dh2k

I have all of these on my system. They are normal, removing them won't make any difference to your problem. They'll prob get recreated, and if not, you'll make your problem even worse.

The reason why these symlinks are here, are because some apps can look in different places. Some might be coded to /dev/hdc. Others might be coded to /dev/cdrom or even /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 or whatever. It's to help the system from getting into a mess and not finding your correct device, or even asking you which one it should be using.

This is mount process after instalation in KDE. So, but in /mnt/cdrom is OK, on pic3 see umount manually and isterted new media. Yes this is default mountin process in new Mandriva installed. Test on kernel 2.6.12 default and 2.6.14mm.

If you insert DVD media, now started Kaffeine and play now, if insert CD too, this is OK ...Lex

post-15173-1156416369_thumb.jpg

post-15173-1156416406_thumb.jpg

post-15173-1156416442_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lexicon