Writing to NTFS via SAMBA

Guest jaylbird

Guest jaylbird

Hello all, this is my first post. I've been using Mandriva since Mandrake 9.0. I always love the improvements with each distro. During my use of the 2005 LE, I noticed that I could write to my WinXP desktop box in my home's wireless network. Yeah, I've been able to do it in Mandriva2006 as well! I can create new files, change them in any way and even delete them. So my problem is, I recently caught a trojan on the winxp partition of my laptop. After trying everything to remove it, I feel I can do it with SAMBA but I just don't know how. :wall:

Is it then possible to mount a partition with SAMBA so I can delete the trojan files? Do I need to first share the drive, in winbloze? I have always found Linux indespensible and I would move completely, if I could get VMware 5.5 to work. Maybe somebody has some pointers about that as well? I'm about halfway through an install of winxp and Mandriva shuts down. Total auto power-down! I then reboot and have to do filesystem checks.

Welcome to the board :beer:

No, you cannot write to the partition with samba. Samba is just for networking to Windows machines that are running Windows already, or for making a Linux server run as if it was a Windows server. If you want to remove files, the machine would have to be booted in Windows already and you can access the partitions across the network via network shares with samba. But you're best course of action is to remove the files by just using the Windows machine only, not trying to do it across a network.

NTFS writing in Linux is done at kernel level, and at best is still in development stages. I wouldn't recommmend trying to write to NTFS partitions through Linux.

Your best bet is to boot Windows and remove the trojan with anti-virus software, and even anti-spyware software. You can try grisoft avg free to clean your machine and perhaps spybot search and destroy to remove spyware.

Guest jaylbird
Still think I'll wait for stable, final release. Just in case it's buggy, as I value my data ;)

Well, I've actually installed Fuse and ntfsmount from the DVD, but I can't seem to get Mandriva to recognize the new file format (ntf-fuse) when trying to mount the drive partition. Now understand, I'm talking about mounting an EXISTING partition - not making a new one.

I've made all the changes to /etc/fstab and I've done a modprobe to ensure the fuse module is running. From what I've read, that should be all I need to do......so what's my problem?

I've also done a thread search, looking for answers to this problem, but nothing really touches on this part.

Well, I've actually installed Fuse and ntfsmount from the DVD, but I can't seem to get Mandriva to recognize the new file format (ntf-fuse) when trying to mount the drive partition.

Read my link more carefully. ntfs-fuse is the name of the old driver (hardly working), the new fuse module is loaded as "ntfs-3g":

/dev/hda1 /mnt/ntfs ntfs-3g silent,umask=0,locale=el_GR.utf8

...is my entry for a large, 250 GB NTFS partition (set to be read/write for everyone). Using the driver since one month ago with zero problems up to date.

There are two things to get warned about: 1. This driver does not report the partition free space correctly, so get sure you do have enough free space before writing large files, and 2. Does not handle metadata, so you'd better not crash your system while using the driver to transfer data...

Other than the two issues above, it works absolutely reliably, and VERY fast.

Guest jaylbird
Read my link more carefully. ntfs-fuse is the name of the old driver (hardly working), the new fuse module is loaded as "ntfs-3g":

Thanks Scarecrow! I will try that. So the recommendation here is to unload the old Fuse (the one from the Mandriva DVD) and install the new one. I will post a reply as to whether or not I have any more problems. :D