wireless networking recommendations

polemicz

I'm seriously thinking about replacing my wired network with a wireless one and wonder what hardware you all would recommend. I'll need to be able to have four computers on it. One of my questions is whether "n" is worthwhile or spending extra money. The main deal is internet sharing (via cable) and accessing files on other systems, bcking up, and a printer. Encryption is important (my son's laptop picks up 4 wireless networks from my house!) as is also Linux support (obviously). I'll also need to get two wifi cards for the systems without. Thanks in advance.

Never buy a USB one, they are nothing but a pain in the butt. My laptop has a minipci with an Atheros chipset, and works really good with ndiswrapper.

You are supposed to be able to use madwifi with it, but it's beta, and never worked for me whatsoever.

I'm unsure of what other cards to recommend, as I've only used this one.

I use a d-link G604T (I think) wireless modem/router/access point. It works fine (although was a bastard to set up - mainly due to it having some incorrect settings on it)

I use usb adapters for the linked laptops and pcs (both windows XP and Linux) and it works without any problems (once set up - although the problems were knowledge related rather than hardware)

Leo