Capacity: 14667 MB

Heads: 255

Sectors: 63

Cylinders: 1826

And I'm looking at this one:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...=THD-1200A2%20P

Will this one work?

My jabil kadoka MB specs say:

IDE controller on the AMD 750 Chip set provides IDE hard disk and CD-ROM drive with PIO, DMA, and Ultra DMA 33 or Ultra DMA 66 operation modes

Connects up to four IDE devices

I'm clueless here obviously.

Sure, it will work. You might want to edit your /etc/lilo.conf to get the best results though:

prompt

lba32

delay=128

timeout=128

install=boot-bmp.b

bitmap=/boot/boot.bmp

bmp-table=227p,233p,1,7

bmp-colors=13,0,,11,0,13

bmp-timer=76,30,11,0

map=/boot/map

append="devfs=nomount vga=ask ide0=ata66 ide1=ata66 idebus=66"

#password=...................

boot=/devices/discs/disc0/disc

root=/devices/discs/disc0/part3

image           = /boot/vmlinubz-2.4.20

label   = linux-2.4.20

read-only

image           = /boot/vmlinubz-2.4.19

label   = linux-2.4.19

read-only

Notice my "append" line where I'm telling the kernel to use ata66

Edit: removed password, even though it wasn't being used

Yes, I think so. Your controller doesn't handle ata100 - however, you can still use ata66 instead of the default ata33, as long as you have an 80 pin data cable. If you want, you an also buy an ata100 PCI card, if you're worried about that 30% drop in potential speed. Generally, an ata66 is more than sufficient, unless you're doing something like recording digital video over firewire, where it's nicer to use the full speed.

I see no problem with that drive. I would certainly want to check out any add-in cards to see if they have kernel support or if a module can be compiled. What I see you doing here is buying for the future as well as today. That drive should be good for the next few years and will fit nicely into a faster box.

Counterspy

Oh, I was assuming that ATA 100 was 100 MHz, not MB/sec....esp. since my current HD says (in /var/log/messages): "ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx' (I just saw that today and fixed it...added 'ide0=ata66 ide1=ata66 idebus=66' to my append line in lilo.conf)....it's soooooooo confusing.

I see no problem with that drive.  I would certainly want to check out any add-in cards to see if they have kernel support or if a module can be compiled.  What I see you doing here is buying for the future as well as today.  That drive should be good for the next few years and will fit nicely into a faster box.

Counterspy

And thanks for the extra input, Counterspy. I'm definitely watching for Linux support in any hardware I buy. Actually, I'm also considering buying a whole new PC instead of a HD, because I'm still using PC133 RAM (384...upgradable to a whopping 768) and a 750 MHz Athlon. I keep seeing ads for sooooooooooo much faster stuff and my guy genes kick in (esp. considering that I paid 2 grand for this box...i know, i know......)

Ok. I went and bought a new HD today from Best Buy. It's not exactly the one I linked to. It's a Seagate 80 Gig with a 2 MB cache. Figured I start off in the midrange and work my way up. The only PCI/ATA cards they had were PCI/ATA 133 cards (well, they had one and there was no guarantee it would work with Linux. I wrote the name and model down, but haven't looked it up yet.

Tomorrow, I'm gonna try my hand at installing this bad boy. Here's what I'm setting out to do:

(1) Install the new HD and transfer my dual-boot installation of Win2K and Linux8.1 over to it entirely (I'm assuming I do this with the new HD as slave).

(2) Set the new HD to master and remove my old 15 Gigger

(3) Boot off the installation disk and install Lilo

(Beyond this, I'm making it up as I go along)

(4) Take old drive and move it to my fiancee's computer (she has an 8 Gig HD) .

(5) Set my HD to master and boot into Linux

(6) Copy her install of Win2K over my install of Win2K

(7) Delete her old copy of Win2K and create new Linux partitions there and move Linux over.

(8) Delete the partitions on my 15 Gig where Linux used to be and resize the Win partition to take up the whole drive.

(9) Run Lilo to make sure it is installed on the 15 Gig HD.

(10) Reboot and all should be well. Windows on the 15 Gig and Linux on the 8 Gig for her to play with.

I hope my plan is OK.