Lots of Errors on install of 2006. {SOLVED}

earsh0t

Hi i just DLed mandriva 2006 powerpack DVD, burnd it and am tryin to install it, but i keep geting erros installing packages, i mean theres TONS of errors, some install, some dont,.....and its going REAL slow...is it aproblem with my DVD or something???? sorry for the lack of info i havent used mandrake sence 9.1 or any linux for 3 years.

and it seems to be mostly all GNOME stuff too, im planing on useing KDE anyway but there was some erros with KDE media stuff as well.

Edited by earsh0t

Very likely a bad burn. Check the md5sum of your iso image (check the FAQ section of the board) and burn again on high quality media at a low speed if it passes the test.

ok i re-burnd the ISO, then reinstalled, all whent PERFECT no problems....BUT upon first boot, it get to what i BELIEVE is the login, but its forzen...my mouse still works thow, and it dont seem to respond to any keyboard actions aswell.

i did configure my vid card to NV(i have a gefore6800XT) so is that the problem??

PS thanks for then help to BTW.

Edited by earsh0t

and it dont seem to respond to any keyboard actions aswell.

i did configure my vid card to NV(i have a gefore6800XT) so is that the problem??

PS thanks for then help to BTW.

Not even responding if you press alt+ctrl+F1 or alt+ctrl+F2 ? Do you get a login screen with no GUI that way?

Do alt+ctrl+backspace give any result, or it doesn't work?

The "nv" driver on the 2006 release (including the powerpack) works for some nvidia cards, while for others freezes solidly. The reason is that the driver is of beta quality (at best)- now don't ask me why Mandriva included it in an official+commercial release...

If you even can logon without the graphical environment running, the installation is fixable without too much trouble.

i when back and used the UPDATE part of the install to switch back to VESA, it works PERFECT now. i might try and DL the driver from Nvidia, cuz i wana try the cedega (spell??) to play some games with linux.....if i can play my games ill just make the full switch back to linux. :thumbs:

Add some software mirrros with easyurpmi http://www.mandrivausers.org/easyurpmi/index.php , then update your system (especially the Xorg package. The online mirrors have a stable, fixed package available for download) before installing the nvidia drivers on your box.

Another alternative for the nvidia drivers, is to do:

urpmi dkms-nvidia

and it will install dkms and the latest nvidia driver from the plf repositories. However, you need to visit the easyurpmi link at the top of this page and set up main, contrib, updates, plf-free and plf-nonfree.

Then when a new update is there, it will install when you apply updates, and you'll continually get the latest driver without having to mess around manually downloading from nvidia.

The dkms module injects the module into the kernel during boot time the first time it realises the kernel doesn't have the module installed. Then, if you install a new kernel and reboot, it will automatically do it without you having to manually reinstall the nvidia driver again - if you had downloaded it from nvidia.

Is cool, I use it with mine :P

Ok, well i figured out how to get to root(DUH im dumb lol), i copy all the stuff it says in step 3(for that updater thing) it seems to DL 1 think per address, but then what??? i got no CLUE what ya guys are talkin about lol...im NEW..sorry for takin up yr time...