Mounting samba shares

ilia_kr

Hi there. I have some shared folders on windows computer that i use a lot. Usually I access them by nautilus, but now I want to try to mout them on my Linux PC to watch if there is some difference. I never done this before so i dont know how to do that.

How do i mount samba shares from a CLI?

How do i make Linux to automount them at boot?

Thanks.

P.S. I'm using FC4 now.

Edited by ilia_kr

its been asked here many times, if you search here, there wll be lots of results.. but hey, where here to answer questions :D

ok, here's how Im mounting it on my box, using autofs, it uses automount, so regular users can mount thus M$ shared.

here's how I did it:

since you're using fedora...check if autofs has been already installed: as root:

rpm -qa | grep autofs

if installed then skip the next code, if not then install it

#installing autofs via yum
yum install autofs

after it has been installed, run it as a service

chkconfig autofs on

then edit /etc/auto.master and comment all inside it then append on it the ff: below..

/mnt/samba /etc/auto.samba -t=10

-t=10 refers to 10 seconds duration time that autofs will auto unmount mounted share

then create the directory /mnt/samba defined on the entries of /etc/auto.master file

mkdir /mnt/samba

now create the /etc/auto.samba file and enter the ff: below

windows -fstype=smbfs,username=user,password=microshaft ://192.168.1.1/shared_folder

what?

windows - name of the folder where the shared_folder of 192.168.1.1 will be mounted when someone access it.

192.168.1.1 - ip of windows with shared_folder

username and password - the username/password in your windows box that has access on that shared_folder

after all of the above, start autofs

/etc/init.d/autofs start

and everytime there's a changes on /etc/auto.master and /etc/auto.samba, issue command

/etc/init.d/autofs reload

now to check if it works

ls /mnt/samba/windows/

if it will lists the files inside that folder, then sucessfull, if not, then check log files.

note: makesure smbclient been installed already...

note: /mnt/samba/windows folder is autocreated if successful, you dont need to create it manually.

if all works fine, try also to browse on it using konqueror treating as ordinary folder. Or put a shortcut of it in your desktop

:D have fun!

Edited by aioshin

I'll definitly will try that, but I 've heard somewhere that the same can be done by editing fstab. Could it be?

Well I foun this: https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?s=&...st&p=127325

The problem is that I don't have a password on my XP so I can't setup fstab without it. How can I ommit the username & password keys in fstab?

actually, mounting via fstab is one option... the problem with that, if the shared folder is not available, and you tried to access it, say you put a shortcut of it on your desktop, there's a tendency that it causes the system to hang. because its been considered as static mount point, and then only root can re-mount it when unmounted.

while using autofs, it'll be mounted dynamically, only when a user tries to open it... and after the specified duration, when no one accessing the mount point, then it will auto unmount.

and mounting via fstab is common, see, just by searching, you found one... at least now, there's another option to mount...

Edited by aioshin

... doesn't work

auto.master:

# $Id: auto.master,v 1.4 2005/01/04 14:36:54 raven Exp $
#
# Sample auto.master file
# This is an automounter map and it has the following format
# key [ -mount-options-separated-by-comma ] location
# For details of the format look at autofs(5).
#/misc  /etc/auto.misc --timeout=60
#/smb   /etc/auto.smb
#/net   /etc/auto.net
/mnt/mp3 /etc/auto.samba -t=10

auto.samba:

windows -fstype=smbfs ://192.168.123.103/MP3

I have no password on XP so i omitted username & password string

the result:

[root@linux-fc4 mp3]# /etc/init.d/autofs reload
Checking for changes to /etc/auto.master ....
Reload map /usr/sbin/automount --timeout=10 /mnt/mp3 file /etc/auto.samba
[root@linux-fc4 mp3]# ls /mnt/mp3
[root@linux-fc4 mp3]#

Edited by ilia_kr

in your /etc/auto.samba you define

windows -fstype=smbfs ://192.168.123.103/MP3

by that, you should have to access that defined folder first for it to be mounted on your system, since by default, there is no any mounted remote folders yet by automounter/autofs unless a file on that folder has been accessed.

So what? I should have seen the 'windows' foder inside 'mp3', right? Checked in nautilus too, nothing there...

no, you'll not be able to see it unless you specify that particular folder

ls /mnt/mp3/windows

If no avail, try to check your logs, might be a problem behind..

and also, have'nt really tried to mount an XP share that does not have a password lately... so dunno if that one also might cause a problem on mounting.