Pushing windows aside [solved]

rohitsz

Greetings there,

We have couple of systems at college,where gnu/linux was to be installed, but we got systems that had m$ window$ on it.

So we can't remove it totally..so have to make compromise and have win$ and gnu/linux co-exist. As most gnu/linux distro's allow this,and with things in my (humble)hands,i have decided to install mandriva le 2006 on them.

Untill now i have installed mandriva by making seperate partitions through window$ going thru the repartitioning of disks and re-installing of window$ .This is the first time that i won't be allowed to 'mess' with window$ install, so have to compress the win$ partition and make room for mandriva.

I have heard(read) that fips 2.0 does the job with fat32 systems.But at a mandriva site, they list a mandriva's 'lossless partitioning tool' I have not seen it listed anywhere else.Also the same link suggests the use of fips 2.0 tool for pre mandriva 7.0 releases!

So could someone tell me how and where i can find any more information on the above and proceed with a co-existing,peaceful dual boot system at these systems.

thanks,

rohit.

Edited by rohitsz

Mandriva allows you to resize partitions during the install (including NTFS, IRRC). You shouldn't need to use any other tools - just tell Mandriva to shrink the windows partition to make room for itself.

Have a browse through the other threads here in the "Installing Mandriva" section, for example this recent one. Yes it's possible to shrink the windows partition without losing anything, and it should work without problems. But make sure there's plenty of free space on the drive, make sure everything important is backed up first (just in case) and if possible defrag the windows drive to squash it all down. And it probably helps to do it as early as possible before the windows files get spread out over too much of the drive.

PS/ le 2006 must be a typo - there was a le 2005, and then a 2006. (I never did find out whether the 2005 version really was more limited than all the others...)

they called it LE (limited edition) becase it was only going to be a 6 month release were as all the others after that are going to be 1 year (hence 2006, 2007, etc.). it didn't have anything to do with the capabilities of it.

Greetings there,

Apologies for the late update...

Well thanks a lot to all people who replied..mandriva did easily allow to shrink the windows partition.

There was just one issue regarding the install, that when i tried to shrink the partition, then the 'shrinking' took a bit too long then i rebooted the system, then again the 'shrinking' went ok. This happened two times, and it was worked ok after rebooting the system,without any loss of data on windows.

Two things i had done before the 'shrinking':

1)Defrag the windows drive.

2)Disable and enable the page file before and after the install respectively.

During the 'shrinking' process, if anyone is aware of how mandriva allows to partition disks,in color coded partitions and filesystems mappings, though scary(heh!),but the resizing is very intutive.

And with this, i(& friends) were able to dual boot windows and mandriva.

The count is 15 as of now(in one day,rather 3 hours,with lotsa fun and knowledge sharing!), but this will undoubtedly increase with the success of the dual booting process.

So the same continues the coming week ;-)

thanks to all for your help and guidance...

regards,

rohit.