Installing DVD Writer

Guest websightdesign

Guest websightdesign

I am trying to install a DVD Writer into my mandrake v10 machine and i am trying to write the disc with the K3b software.

But when ever i try to write the disc it comes up with an error to insert the correct disc and if you force it to write it comes up with "No space left on device".

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Brad

Guest websightdesign

I have tried changing the temporary directory from the temp directory to another section with enough space, but this hasn't made any difference it is not the creating of the image or the moving of the temporary files but when it actually starts to write the disk.

Brad

Yes. Make sure your DVD burner supports the type of media. Some DVD burners can burn both +R/RW and -R/RW (There is a difference between + and -), while some can only burn and/or read one or the other. Also, the brand of media could be an issue. My burner doesn't like Imation, for example and refuses to recognize any Imation disk.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

I recall version 10.0 using k3b 0.11-something, kernel 2.6.3 and having some issues with the automounting utilities used.

get sure you have the "k3b-dvd" package installed, and then run

kcmshell k3bsetup2

(root password required).

Packages for version 10.0 still available at some mirrors (e.g. Contactel), but I don't think easyurpmi will be helpful for setting your sources for releases that old.

And yes, most old DVD burners do not support both media types- you have to use either "plus" or "minus", according to the burner you have.

Edited by scarecrow

The other alternative is that the burner is too new for Mandrake 10. You might need to upgrade to a later version, say 2006.

With few (very few) exheptions, all burners comply to the MMC-3 specs, and k3b should be able to handle them- even a k3b that old, and certainly much buggier than it is today.