Start up, boot

linux_trojan

When I start up, I see that my computer hangs up at something called "br0". It stays there for along time,then says "FAILED" and goes to "eth0", then goes to "wlan0", etc. This takes forever to get through, and I was wondering if I could cut down my boot up time somehow?

I know that Mandriva is searching for an internet connection, but sometimes I dont have one.

First, I would check to see what happens if you disable this device completely. Once your computer is up and running, go to the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts directory, and look for a file, something along the lines of:

ifcfg-br0

if you find this file, open it and edit it and look for a line:

onboot=yes

or similar, change the "yes" to a "no" and then reboot your computer. See if your computer takes ages to come up. If it doesn't, check your eth0 and wlan0 connections to make sure they are working correctly.

If they are, then you can safely delete the ifcfg-br0 file as it sounds like it could have been a device configured accidently for some reason, and it's attempting to bring it up each time you start the computer.

br0 is normally a bridged connection to your existing (?) wifi device. Is it present all the time, or it's just a cardbus device which is plugged occasionally?

I plug in my wi fi card only occasionally. Only when I am away from home and office. Otherwise I use the eth0. By the way, my comp hangs up on all of them, br0, eth0, wlan0, etc.

turn the service "network" to "off" for on-boot. you can do this through Mandriva Control Center under System -> Services (I think...somewhere there is a Services option). You will then need to start the network connection manually when you want to use it.

The problem is that it will try to get a connection and has the timeout set to some insanely long period. I'm not sure where this is set (I think it's hard coded) and I don't know why it doesn't just try to detect if a cable connection/wireless connection is present and fail when it's not instead of waiting for a time out.

Another nice quick way for disabling from console prompt:

chkconfig network off

and what you can do when you boot your machine is open a command prompt and then type:

service network start

to bring up your network when you want it.