Mandrake not utilizing enough memory.

kjc5664

Mandrake 2006

Kernel 2612-22SMP

Looking at the gnome system monitor. It looks as though. User memory is only utilized to 653MB of 1009.8MB before

the system starts swapping.

Is there a kernel parameter which lets me increase the amount of user memory used. I would like to use

as much of my 1GB of memory for using swap space.

Thanks in advance.

The regular stock Mandriva kernels (incl. the smp one) do not utilize the full one gig of RAM you have, but "only" 890MB.

To fix that, you either have to use a 4GB enabled kernel, or apply the 1GB patch (afaik present in the Con Kolivas patchset) and rebuild the kernel. Not 653 MB though- where did you get that info from?

Some distros, like PCLInuxOS, come with a stock kernel already patched to use your one gig of RAM fully.

I do have to warn you though that some apps, like VMWare, will fail to build the necessary modules with the 1GB patch applied, and some application-specific footwork is needed to bypass this issue.

The regular stock Mandriva kernels (incl. the smp one) do not utilize the full one gig of RAM you have, but "only" 890MB.

To fix that, you either have to use a 4GB enabled kernel, or apply the 1GB patch (afaik present in the Con Kolivas patchset) and rebuild the kernel. Not 653 MB though- where did you get that info from?

Some distros, like PCLInuxOS, come with a stock kernel already patched to use your one gig of RAM fully.

I do have to warn you though that some apps, like VMWare, will fail to build the necessary modules with the 1GB patch applied, and some application-specific footwork is needed to bypass this issue.

Thanks for the reply. I came up with the 653MB. By observiing the GNOME system monitor values during the course of running my apps. It gets to 653MB. Then. Starts swapping.

Unfortunetely. I can't use the 4GB kernel. As. I have a 940 dual core cpu. This I use an SMP kernel.

Unless of course the is a SMP kernel built to use 4GB's.

You might want to take a look at the explanation at the following page: http://forum.mandrivaclub.com/viewtopic.ph...ight=4gb+kernel

It states: "Just in the interests of accuracy , the default kernel in the i586 edition can address up to 64GB of RAM. the -i686-up-4GB kernel can address up to 4GB. The only kernel limited to 1GB (or, more correctly, 896MB) is the -i586-up-1GB kernel which is included for old machines."

HTH