compatibility

spider200

i am starting school in a year and the tech department at the school is unsure of my question. The school uses elearning materials that they say are rather popular at most universities, and I was wondering since I am using Linux Mandriva2006 would that be able to run the program ??? I know this is difficult to answer not knowin g the exact program but I figure whatever it is will most likely run in Windows through either Microsoft Office, Powerpoint, Excel, Quicktime adobe for the most part and if i am not mistaken Linux has software that covers all that stuff ?? right??? The tech deparment told me that some of the elearning materials will not work with mac's, if that helps ....

if they work on mac's they should work on linux. but like you said, without knowing exactly what they are using for these tools you can never really know. if they are web-based you should be fine, unless they use activex.

When I worked in London, my last company started e-learning and it was done through the web-browser. Shame I left before I could take advantage of it :P

Reading last months Linux Format magazine it mentioned that some of these require Windows and only windows which forced some schools to back track on their linux adoption.

I would say try and see, but be warned that it may have been written purely for windows and Active X controls or other Windows only technology.

Good luck, in your studies..